Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
B-Class 180 CDI
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys!
i was little busy last time but i'm again here browsing through this forum and great mine of information about b-class

i had my brake pads and discs changed this week and i was courious when you had your first replacement of these elements. my car has got now 49k km on the clock and i must say that i was very positively surprised that brake pads didnt need to be replaced earlier
the whole cost of this replacement was about 300 EUR and this was second thing that suprised me - it's not a big amount considering MB service

greetings
paul

·
Registered
809 Posts
Is this the first ever change on your B? I am surprised that it lasted this long. Have you notice any brake squeal sound during the course of your 49K km? I have 13000km now and the sound is horrible. I will wait til it hits 15K before going for first service.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
Mine were changed for free at 5000 km (4 discs, all pads) due to excessive noise and vibration on the front ones and noise + rust on the rear discs. The new rear discs are already grooved and somehwat rusty at 11,500 km. At least the front ones haven't warped again. The rust is more of an aesthetic issue than a functional one, so unless the dealer replaces the rear brakes again for free, they will stay that way. The friction material seems as though it would normally last 80,000 km.

·
Registered
GLK350 2011 Gone, B200 Turbo CVT 2009 Gone, GL320 CDI 2008, B200 Turbo CVT 2006 Gone
354 Posts
Depends how you drive. I had mine replaced at 38000 kms new pads and rotors due to vibration still under warranty free of charge. I did not drive the car for 3 month at winter because of snow after trying to get it out of garage and driving it again brake pads rusted into the rotors after I was driving for a little it got better plus dealer serviced and lube piston and cleaned the whole brake asssembly. Now 55000kms and brakes are perfect car stops in no time specially with 17 inch sport tires.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
Aha, another example of warped front discs. It seems not to be totally uncommon on the B.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,524 Posts
Like Mike, I've worked hard at keeping the rust off of the rears.
While in Virginia we daily traveled from 3500 ft to 600 ft and back while I constantly worked the brakes to remove the winter's rust in the rears.
They still have a few lines of rust in the rear. I wonder what my chances are at this late date to try for 'first time' new rears under warranty? My B is new from Dec. 05 with 30,000 kms.
Derek

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
Go for it! Those lines, if you feel them, are probably ridges. Mine are.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,524 Posts
Yes Mike, mine are now ridges too. Today, a nice B Turbo parked beside me in St.Sauveur with beautiful rusty rears..... Why couldn't MB get it right????:bowdown:

·
Registered
B200 T 2007 Gone, Discovery Sport 2016
1,581 Posts
Yes Mike, mine are now ridges too. Today, a nice B Turbo parked beside me in St.Sauveur with beautiful rusty rears..... Why couldn't MB get it right????:bowdown:
Hope that the wife was not with you when you checked out the "rears" beautiful or not.

I always think that the ridges line up with the grooves in the pads giving a much larger surface area for braking and the extra surface area also helps in cooling the brakes.:) My SAAB has ridges and it still stops on a dime, of course with inflation a dime might not be enough. :eek: The B however has fewer ridges on the rotors but it is hard to see them with all the black dust stuck to everything. The only car I have driven that did not develop grooves/ridges was an AUDI with inboard disk brakes on the front. The back brakes used to rust solid and the emergency brakes brakes never worked. I think I needed major rust proofing applied to the brakes.

Bill

·
Registered
B200 CDI SE
2,248 Posts
Here are mine after 5,000 miles (8,000km) I dont seem to have the rusting problems you guys in Canada have car has been unused for 24 hours in damp weather conditions. Rear shown in top photo & bottom photo is front. Car is a bit mucky as I am waiting for it to go in for a full M/B valet on thursday.

Attachments

·
Registered
Our 3rd Black - "Betty B Bomber"
184 Posts
Albeit, our B200 only has roughly 4,000 kms, we have not experienced the rusty brake disc syndrome that befalls a lot of the B-Class cars (knock on wood.) Perhaps, Merecedes-Benz has been updating/correcting processes and materials as problems occur? We have a 2008 production vehicle, and our disc brakes looks as clean as Keith's.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
See what they're like in March next year ;)

·
Registered
B200 CDI SE
2,248 Posts
Nooooooo!!!!:eek:

At least the car is covered for wear and tear replacement, unlike other car manufacturers. . .Hopefully as well, as mentioned earlier in this thread, M-B has sought to improve on the materials/suppliers.
Unfortunately not for us in the UK Tyres, exhausts, brakes, wipers, bulbs etc would only be replaced if faulty but not for wear & tear.

·
Registered
Our 3rd Black - "Betty B Bomber"
184 Posts
Unfortunately not for us in the UK Tyres, exhausts, brakes, wipers, bulbs etc would only be replaced if faulty but not for wear & tear.
The program with M-B Canada covers items considered wear and tear items on a new vehicle for the first 24 months or 40,000 kms. whichever comes first.

·
Registered
B200 T 2007 Gone, Discovery Sport 2016
1,581 Posts
Keith

I think that we have to chip in a buy you a ticket to Canada, and allow you to drive the cars with rust on the disks. I'm sure you would get the rust out.:):)

Are you sure that when you sprayed the front of your car that some paint did not find it's way to the rear brakes:thumbsup: I can not believe, how clean the wheels look, mine look like the bottom of a coal chute!

Bill

·
Registered
B200 CDI SE
2,248 Posts
I have painted the hubs (up to the pad swept area of the disk / rotor) with caliper paint that does tend to keep the look of the inside of the wheels looking reasonable & mine haven't been cleaned for some time now

1 - 18 of 18 Posts