Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 S550 4Matic
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I know for a fact that I need to buy brand new front brake pads and possibly rear as well I have 32,000 miles and have never changed them and I am starting to here squeeking when I break but I still dont see the brake light coming on. But just in case I want to order the pads and have them ready for when the light does come on.

Can you guys please tell me what is the best option for the pads rather then buying them from the dealer, is there a better pad then factory?maybe less brake dust? If so please let me know what kind and where I can order them from

Thank you
Savas K.

·
Registered
2010 S550 4Matic
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so is there no one that has anyother brake pad opinions? i cant seem to find the porterfield

·
Registered
05' SLK55 Orion Blue
50 Posts
They must be crazy...

Ah, wow what a ripoff! $169 for front pads & another $89 for the rears!? Heck, for my SLK55 they want $458+shipping for Fr & Rr pads!

Suhvas go to iROTORS, Inc. - Brake Rotors, Pads, Lines, Big Brake Kits or some other vendor that sells Centric brake pads (they also own Power Slot HP brake company). friction.png There is different link to different material types they sell, I got the Ceramic ones, since the stock SLK55 pads make so much coal black dust and are noisy. Got front and rears for $140 shipped :) Be installing them this week just got them in the mail.

Pp

·
Registered
2010 S550 4Matic
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Ppower Let me know after you install them how they are atleaste i will know from someone first hand if they are good, i know some others have been saying to get Ceramic so i was debating but then some people said Porterfield so I was kinda stuck.

Also are you changing them yourself? If so exactly what kinda tools do you need to use I have never changed on my mercedes but i have on my Ford and my Ex-Honda Accord Just want to see if i am gonna need different tools before i even attempt

Savas K.

·
Registered
05' SLK55 Orion Blue
50 Posts
Hey Ppower Let me know after you install them how they are atleaste i will know from someone first hand if they are good, i know some others have been saying to get Ceramic so i was debating but then some people said Porterfield so I was kinda stuck.

Also are you changing them yourself? If so exactly what kinda tools do you need to use I have never changed on my mercedes but i have on my Ford and my Ex-Honda Accord Just want to see if i am gonna need different tools before i even attempt

Savas K.
No, going to have local MB shop install them while the SLK55 is there for a wheel alignment. From what I have read and seen, Ceramic are best for low-dust and good for low noise. May not be the best choice for extreme braking (vs. like a high dust racing compound pad) because they get slightly more fade at higher temps, but I am not running my SLK in SCCA events.

Pp

·
Registered
2010 S550 4Matic
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, going to have local MB shop install them while the SLK55 is there for a wheel alignment. From what I have read and seen, Ceramic are best for low-dust and good for low noise. May not be the best choice for extreme braking (vs. like a high dust racing compound pad) because they get slightly more fade at higher temps, but I am not running my SLK in SCCA events.

Pp
HEY just wondering how did the pads end up turning out? do you really like them?>

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
27 Posts
Since I am not using HTML code you have to past this link. It is for Akebono pads. They have been used by other MB users with only positive results. They are ceramic pads and the dust problem is all but eliminated. Be aware that some ceramic pads have caused the rotors to warp. I have seen nothing but praise for these pads. This link is for my 230 but the seller has pads for most MB models.
eBay Motors: Akebono BRAKE PAD SET mercedes benz SLK230 SLK-230 03 (item 230258066015 end time Jul-01-08 01:49:46 PDT)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
axxis Ultimas are the best all around street/track dual duty pad. Full ceramic akebonos are NOT recommended for stock rotors, their heat up time creates brake lag and their heat range is way too hot. you want a carbon mettalic or carbon ceramic hybrid pad for the street, not a true full ceramic, its just too much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts