Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
mercedes benz SL500 R129
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i am looking for advice on my sl500. the breaking system is equipped with all oem parts but i want to upgrade it.
first i was looking at hawk performance break pads, then for some brembo for both callipers and rotors. i saw a youtube video with a guys who talks that he installed brembo calliper which is bigger then oem on silver arrow rotors cause they are bigger in size. anyway i am up to any suggestion i want to have a good breaking for a car which weights nearly two tones given the fact it hits pretty big speeds

·
Registered
mercedes benz SL500 R129
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you know any brake pads substitute but with more breaking power and performance i was looking at hawk performance but i am not sure it they produce the ones which are fit for the SL s

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,497 Posts
akebono's for pads. Doubt anyone not on the track can tell a difference in performance to OEM pads, but the difference in brake pad dust is astounding. OEM drive around the block, black dust, Akebono week long cross country trip and maybe a little white dust.

·
Registered
269 Posts
He wants performance , Akebono are not .

Choose the biggest diameter discs suitable , real physics... and above caliper if possible .

Performance pads depends on how you tolerate brake dust .

Ferodo Eco Friction
EBC Red Stuff
Ferodo DS Performance are all low dust with better braking .

·
Registered
2000 SL500, 2004 E320
899 Posts
the breaking system is equipped with all oem parts but i want to upgrade it.
Why?

OE pads and rotors were designed to work in most (if not all) driving conditions, on public roads, Autobahns etc… for the car that has speed limiter set at 155 mph/ 250 kmh.

Are you going to remove speed limiter and drive it on the race track?

If yes, you’ll need to upgrade tires, make sure all suspension parts are in tip-top shape, etc… not to mention driving skills. Otherwise brakes could (quickly) become the least of your problem.

·
Outstanding Contributor
R129 500 SL 1991
1,755 Posts
With standard MB OE pads I only experienced brake fade once, and that was in Milton Keynes. If you know MK you will know why.

I’m now running EBC red stuff with their discs. Way better. No fade yet.

Prior to this, between upgrading to EBC discs and pads, I ran EBC red stuff on MB OE discs and the discs warped in no time. The MB OE discs are softer.

If you go with bigger Brembo callipers, check that they will fit in your rims.
The standard four pot callipers on the front are exceptional and overall the OE brake setup provides massive stopping power, even by today’s standards.

·
1995 Mercedes S420, 1995 SL320, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
2,175 Posts
If you're looking for better than OEM performance, EBC is excellent. I use EBC pads and front rotors on my Lotus -- which has notoriously horrible stock brakes -- and it definitely made an improvement.

For my R129 and W140 I run Akebono pads and Zimmerman rotors. Honestly I never found the OEM brakes lacking on these cars. The zero-dust pads are a MASSIVE improvement in my book though.

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
Everything!!
103 Posts
If you're looking for better than OEM performance, EBC is excellent. I use EBC pads and front rotors on my Lotus -- which has notoriously horrible stock brakes -- and it definitely made an improvement.

For my R129 and W140 I run Akebono pads and Zimmerman rotors. Honestly I never found the OEM brakes lacking on these cars. The zero-dust pads are a MASSIVE improvement in my book though.
Thanks, we appreciate the recommendation

·
Premium Member
1998 Red SL500, 2002 Black SL500, 2014 Black E550 Cabriolet
1,282 Posts
What works for one does not necessarily work for another. Buy what you think....try it out for however long. Don't like it, try another.
It's only money and not expensive for pads and rotors. Cross drilled rotors...vented rotors...guarantee this....on a wet road...or snow....Didn't matter the pads or rotors for stopping distance....
Dry road?? We've 2 SL's...well over 20 years driving them...IN Germany....IN Japan, Alaska....winter time and summer time.. Didn't matter the pads or rotors.
Majority of the SL's on the road in Germany....OEM pads.
Akebono...less dust.
Just go with what you think...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts