Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 300TD/97 E320/98 SL500
105 Posts
I think the OEM's are Textar. They seem pretty decent, with a silicone rubber part that s...

I think the OEM's are Textar. They seem pretty decent, with a silicone rubber part that seats against the cylinders. They are a PITA to mount though- the thickness maxes out the capacity of the calipers. If you use these, it may help to remove 1/16 pad material first with a grinder/sander...

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,416 Posts
Anyone care to share any brake pad recommendations for my '79 MB 300D? In about another 3,500 miles, I'll need some.

Thanks...
Any OEM brake pad would be fine. These include Textar, Pagid, and Jurid.

Ron
http://germanstar.net

·
Registered
82 300 TD
75 Posts
I agree that any OEM pad (Textar, ATE, Jurid and Pagid) is fine. Personally speaking tho...

I agree that any OEM pad (Textar, ATE, Jurid and Pagid) is fine. Personally speaking though I prefer either ATE or Textar. I currently have ATE pads on the front and rear of my 300 TD and they perform flawlessly. I like to have the same brand on the front as well as the rear just to be sure that braking balance is the same as it was desinged. OEM pads tend to dust more than some of the pads like Axxis Metalmaster or their organic pad, but OEM pads give better performance than those pads that claim to have less dust. It is more important to stop quicker than to have clean wheels in my opinion. OEM pads are more dusty because I think the European regulations require that brake pads have a certain amount of graphite in the friction compound. This is to reduce "glazing" on the disc surface. Check out this website for a wide selection of pads
http://www.oem-mercedes-benz-parts.com/?source=googlep

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...I'll definitely get OEM pads, either ATE or Textar. :)

Appreciate the he...

Thanks guys...I'll definitely get OEM pads, either ATE or Textar. :)

Appreciate the help as always...

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,416 Posts
Re: I agree that any OEM pad (Textar, ATE, Jurid and Pagid) is fine. Personally speaking tho

I agree that any OEM pad (Textar, ATE, Jurid and Pagid) is fine. Personally speaking though I prefer either ATE or Textar. I currently have ATE pads on the front and rear of my 300 TD and they perform flawlessly. I like to have the same brand on the front as well as the rear just to be sure that braking balance is the same as it was desinged. OEM pads tend to dust more than some of the pads like Axxis Metalmaster or their organic pad, but OEM pads give better performance than those pads that claim to have less dust. It is more important to stop quicker than to have clean wheels in my opinion. OEM pads are more dusty because I think the European regulations require that brake pads have a certain amount of graphite in the friction compound. This is to reduce "glazing" on the disc surface.
We also like ATE pads quite a bit, but they are definitely not OEM. Daimler Benz has never used ATE brake pads in any of their cars.

Ron

·
Registered
82 300 TD
75 Posts
OEM= Original equipment manufacturer. I know for a fact that other carmakers (ie, BMW, V...

OEM= Original equipment manufacturer. I know for a fact that other carmakers (ie, BMW, Volkswagen, Audi, and Ford) use ATE pads on their cars. So far as DaimlerChrysler I cannot be for sure, but at any rate I used OEM loosely and they are indeed OEM pads by definition. So nah......[:p]

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,416 Posts
Re: OEM= Original equipment manufacturer. I know for a fact that other carmakers (ie, BMW, V

OEM= Original equipment manufacturer. I know for a fact that other carmakers (ie, BMW, Volkswagen, Audi, and Ford) use ATE pads on their cars. So far as DaimlerChrysler I cannot be for sure, but at any rate I used OEM loosely and they are indeed OEM pads by definition. So nah......[:p]
Oh, now I see. Well I'm using the words "brilliant" and "mature" loosely in describing your response.

Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.