Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a front brake line get damaged. It got quickly chewed through from rubbing on the inside on a factory 16" wheel. It was caused by incorrect brake line routing from a previous owner causing the line to rub in the inner edge of the wheel accelerated by the stick-on inner wheel weight.

18" & larger wheels have ample space for incorrectly routed brake lines, 16" wheels do not. I swapped over to 16" in a hurry last night and did not check clearances but I did have time for a 15 minute test drive which proved to be completely invaluable.

Lucky I was basically rolling to a stop when I realized something was up: low braking power progressively getting worse, pedal soft and going to the floor with each pump as that hole was getting larger quite quickly. I promptly stopped and checked it all out. I was close enough to home I could use back streets and the park/emergency brake to limp home.

Check your brake lines gentleman no matter the wheel size you are running.

Pics of the brake line & wheel removed from the car. Note the black scuff marks on the inner wheel edge + wear marks on the inner wheel weights.

TLDR: I had a brake line wear through due to an incorrectly routed brake line. Reminder to check your brake lines.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
I replaced my 20 year old brake lines with stainless steel ones. They came out of England through a distributor in SoCal. However, dumb me cannot find the invoice or any further info. :frown
Anziani

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a set of lines on hand, replaced the bad line already and back on the road.

You can move the hose along the locater grommet, positioned wrong the hose bend is too large and rubs. I've had 16" wheels on this car before so maybe the line has moved from vibrations over time. I'll have to look at fixing the line more permanently than just relying on the grommet to do the line positioning work alone.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Odd as i don't see how its possible on my car. Mine is secured at the top via a plastic clip approx 2.5 inches long which clamps around the line and goes to the body (holds it a set distance from the inner wheel well and wheel, then it has the grommet on the metal cut out which the line goes thru and finally the rubber bushing on the brake line itself which sits at about 12 o clock above and behind the the rotor shield.

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Odd as i don't see how its possible on my car. Mine is secured at the top via a plastic clip approx 2.5 inches long which clamps around the line and goes to the body (holds it a set distance from the inner wheel well and wheel, then it has the grommet on the metal cut out which the line goes thru and finally the rubber bushing on the brake line itself which sits at about 12 o clock above and behind the the rotor shield.
I have all of the above as well but it's possible because:

You can move the hose along the locater grommet, positioned wrong the hose bend is too large and rubs.

The grommet is not fixed to the hose/brake line, so the brake line can move along the grommet. Too far either way from an ideal position in the grommet the brake line bends into contact with the wheel.

Now, I've had 16" wheels on this car before with no problems so at some point or gradually the brake line has moved along the grommet, the stick on wheel weights accelerated the damage. Both the brake line I removed and the new replacement are the same, that is, the grommet can be slid along the brake line.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well he must of been an idiot at the very least or maybe used a non OEM with poor tolerances allowing movement on the grommet. I can't move my ATE lines i installed awhile ago, the whole setup is taut and well routed compared many setups.

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took some time to document this more thoroughly. Photos of the original ATE line showing previous wear from rubbing on the inside of a rim & in a different spot compared to later failure. This was not picked up in a "blueslip" thorough road check/registration inspection or by myself. I checked and the previous 16" rims did not have wheel weights positioned on the inside but you can see it was still rubbing.

Also note the grommet and bush position can be slid along the brake line, both are very firm esp. the grommet but both can be moved.

New PRB branded brake line is the same & I had to reposition both the grommet and the bush for correct line routing, as it was shipped the line was fouling with the inside of the rim.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
Joe-V12
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing