Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the ML's main brake line sprung a big leak. Looks like it rusted through, about 12" in front of the left rear wheel. Any idea what the replacement/repair is likely to cost? Is the main line a part that can be ordered or would the dealer/MB shop have to fabricate/bend a metal line?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
It is a very common place to find corrosion in this area. It is available from the dealer, but it is expensive and a little hard to fit. If your brake line is good further forward it can be jointed. Any garage can carry out this work, but it would be best to get a fresh bottle of DOT 4+ brake fluid from the dealer.

Out of interest what was your brakes like when you lost pressure in the line?.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not going to do this repair myself, this will be done by a shop that specializes in Mercedes repair. Any rough idea of how much it will cost?

Brakes just started to go at a dead stop. The truck started creeping forward (with the brake pedal depressed) and the pedal began sinking down to the floorboard. I pulled over and saw lots of brake fluid leaking from the underside.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I'm not going to do this repair myself, this will be done by a shop that specializes in Mercedes repair. Any rough idea of how much it will cost?

Brakes just started to go at a dead stop. The truck started creeping forward (with the brake pedal depressed) and the pedal began sinking down to the floorboard. I pulled over and saw lots of brake fluid leaking from the underside.
You were lucky then that it went at low speed. Its up to you. Brake pipes are everyday thing for any good shop, but mb dealer will ring your ass, but it will be a good job. They will reccomend both pipes need to be replaced and guess $500-$600 may cover it. All about how deep your pockets are.

·
Purple Moderator
21,715 Posts
MB actually makes the entire two line set for the rear brake lines. It was the route I went. It was done at a shop that does general European car repair. It was about 2.5 hours of labor. I had the MB fluid and the I got the lines at parts.com for under $300.

I was going to use compression fittings to patch the lines, but there were many areas on the rear lines that were just waiting to burst. That is why I ordered up the whole line set.

One note, the whole line set comes in a length that runs from the ABS pump to the rear of the truck they are very long(about 12') and it is an intense job getting them in and not harming them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Mine is booked in at an Independent for the front two to be replaced. General corrosion and a miniscule leak on an angled part of the pipe

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MB actually makes the entire two line set for the rear brake lines. It was the route I went. It was done at a shop that does general European car repair. It was about 2.5 hours of labor. I had the MB fluid and the I got the lines at parts.com for under $300.

I was going to use compression fittings to patch the lines, but there were many areas on the rear lines that were just waiting to burst. That is why I ordered up the whole line set.

One note, the whole line set comes in a length that runs from the ABS pump to the rear of the truck they are very long(about 12') and it is an intense job getting them in and not harming them.
Thanks for the tip on parts.com I'm looking there under parts for the fuel system (but not seeing them? Seeing everything but the fuel line... Am I missing something or maybe they stopped carrying that part?

Given the fact that the line rusted through, I'm thinking along the same lines you are. Replace the whole line vs. patching it. Being in Washington DC, the indie (who does 90% MB work) was a little surprised the line had rusted through, guess he doesn't really see that here.

·
Premium Member
16,776 Posts
Thanks for the tip on parts.com I'm looking there under parts for the fuel system (but not seeing them? Seeing everything but the fuel line... Am I missing something or maybe they stopped carrying that part?

Given the fact that the line rusted through, I'm thinking along the same lines you are. Replace the whole line vs. patching it. Being in Washington DC, the indie (who does 90% MB work) was a little surprised the line had rusted through, guess he doesn't really see that here.
The reason why you won't find it on parts.com or any other M/B dealer site is because of the length (8') and configuration of the brake line. Where would they get a box that long and insure that it will not get damaged in shipping.

It's dealer time. Don't be afraid to enter. They are not allowed to take prisoners any longer.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The reason why you won't find it on parts.com or any other M/B dealer site is because of the length (8') and configuration of the brake line. Where would they get a box that long and insure that it will not get damaged in shipping.

It's dealer time. Don't be afraid to enter. They are not allowed to take prisoners any longer.
Haha, I may have to do that but I would have to get it towed quite a ways. Seeing as though the indie was a MB tech for 10 years before going out on his own, I'm betting he'll have one of his guys drive over to the dealership to pick up the brake line. I guess I could pick it up as well....

**Just got a text from the indie as I'm typing this post...$848 parts and labor.

·
Premium Member
16,776 Posts
Haha, I may have to do that but I would have to get it towed quite a ways. Seeing as though the indie was a MB tech for 10 years before going out on his own, I'm betting he'll have one of his guys drive over to the dealership to pick up the brake line. I guess I could pick it up as well....

**Just got a text from the indie as I'm typing this post...$848 parts and labor.
Find a new mechanic.

·
Purple Moderator
21,715 Posts
The parts are fulfilled by MB of Naperville in IL.

They ship right from the MB warehouse. The box is massive. Call MB of Naperville and ask for the internet parts dept. They will give a you a decent price that includes free FedEx ground.
For $40 more you dealer will have them in a day. Honestly I know I said the job is intense, but $848 sounds a high. Ask him what the price would be if you brought in the OE genuine lines. Some shops will not allow customers to bring in parts.

The job should be $500 or less.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a conversation with him about the $$$. That price was for replacing both lines not just the one that rusted through.

·
Premium Member
16,776 Posts
I had a conversation with him about the $$$. That price was for replacing both lines not just the one that rusted through.
JAD, I believe that each line goes for $85-100. But I still can't see $600 in labor even for both sides.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JAD, I believe that each line goes for $85-100. But I still can't see $600 in labor even for both sides.
Yeah I'm probably getting screwed a bit. His reasoning for the expense..."he has to lift the chassis to replace the lines and its a lot of work."

Anyway, the towing fee to the nearest dealer would be in the $150-$200 range so that would eat up the difference/savings.

·
Premium Member
16,776 Posts
Yeah I'm probably getting screwed a bit. His reasoning for the expense..."he has to lift the chassis to replace the lines and its a lot of work."

Anyway, the towing fee to the nearest dealer would be in the $150-$200 range so that would eat up the difference/savings.
JAD, about 6 mos. ago I replaced an entire left rear brake line on a 99 ML, and from start to finish it took approx 1 hr. 15 mins. There was no raising of the chassis necessary. You are being fed a "cock and bull story" to drive up the price.

Your problem now is that your truck is at a repair shop and you do not know what to do.

1. Do you know what part of the line the leak is coming from>

2. Did you actually see it?

3. Did the mechanic show you?

4. Is the entire line rusted?

Explain things in detail.

·
Purple Moderator
21,715 Posts
JAD,
I did the rear lines up to the ABS fittings with MB new lines. Removal of old lines and installation of new lines was well under 2 hours.

Raising the chassis is absolutely wrong a s43sqd pointed out.

I really do not trust your mechanic at all. $200 for parts, two hours labor (and that includes DOT 4+ fluid with bleeding the brakes) at the most or move on to an honest mechanic.

·
Premium Member
16,776 Posts
JAD,
I did the rear lines up to the ABS fittings with MB new lines. Removal of old lines and installation of new lines was well under 2 hours.

Raising the chassis is absolutely wrong a s43sqd pointed out.

I really do not trust your mechanic at all. $200 for parts, two hours labor (and that includes DOT 4+ fluid with bleeding the brakes) at the most or move on to an honest mechanic.
What is this "trained observer" thing?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts