Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1996 SL500 Sport, 1992 SL500 (sold)
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read all the other forum threads but still need help trying to remove the 11 mm top flare nut on the rear. So far, no luck. I didn't want to round it off so I bought new Craftsman flare wrenches so the tolerance would be accurate but it feels a little loose and the 10mm is too small. The Craftsman wrench is short so I can't get a lot of leverage and the shape of the flare doesn't appear to go flush with the wrench, so maybe I need a different wrench.

I soaked the nut in penetrant for 24 hrs and just tried heat and I'm starting to round it off. A crows foot flare socket doesn't seem like it would have the leverage but might fit better. I'm one bad attempt from rounding this thing off and could use some advice on how to proceed.Thanks

. 20200502_142542.jpg 11mm.jpg

·
Registered
1992 Mercedes 300SL R129. 94 S320 Mercedes w140
61 Posts
Gosh, I hate those things!

when you try to move a stuck threaded thing, try to tighten it a bit first. This keeps the loosen side of the ridge from rounding over. Thereby saving it for the actual removal.

I use a couple methods on my real old cars to deal with flange nuts.
1 I use Kroil and let soak for a week.
2. A bit of heat
3 Then, when that fails a small pipe wrench. The kind with the self tightening jaw. Of course this will ruin the nut
Or 4: cut the tube and use a 6 sided wrench on the nut. Bang nut before And during your Effort to move it

good luck

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,692 Posts
Pick up one of those small pen blow torches off ebay ideal for that job they produce a very small flame .Then when its hot put a candle on the brake pipe above the flange nut.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
1,977 Posts
I changed (or upgraded) my rubber lines to braided stainless and so went through this procedure.
I do not recall it being too bad but I started out by using the flare wrench first so I had good grab and contact surface area from the get go. I fear that you may have started rounding off the fitting making the wrench loose and sloppy on the hex head.
Due to the compression design, these threaded fittings are designed to not let brake fluid out, so there will not let penetrant in, so that will not help you any. If heat does not work, then unfortunately you might be looking at replacing the metal line....crossing fingers for you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input. Since I started with the flare wrench and heat, I think I'm going to try this vice grip designed for hex head fittings that I saw on another thread. They raved about it in the reviews, so I've ordered it and will try this next weekend when it arrives. I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Do not use anything ells than an 11mm flare nut wrench.

Home depot has a set, in it is an 11mm.
Regards,
aam..
Husky
SAE & MM Flare Nut Wrench Set (6-Piece)

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,892 Posts
I just replaced the brake hoses on my 2000 W210. Fortunately they came loose. I bought the Craftsman flare wrench set. They're pretty sh*tty.......lots of slop as you noticed. Don't think the Husky or Harbor Freight one are any better from the reviews I read.

If you want a good one, I think you have to get a Snap On, Proto etc. professional one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do not use anything ells than an 11mm flare nut wrench.

Home depot has a set, in it is an 11mm.
Regards,
aam..
Husky
SAE & MM Flare Nut Wrench Set (6-Piece)
My challenge is that I was using a brand new Craftsman 11mm flare nut wrench from the beginning when I started to round it off.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just replaced the brake hoses on my 2000 W210. Fortunately they came loose. I bought the Craftsman flare wrench set. They're pretty sh*tty.......lots of slop as you noticed. Don't think the Husky or Harbor Freight one are any better from the reviews I read.

If you want a good one, I think you have to get a Snap On, Proto etc. professional one.
I'm glad that you noticed the slop with the Craftsman as well. I may have to try a professional one. I'm confident I could get it off if the wrench was a good fit. I just barely rounded the top of one edge, so I've still got a good nut to work with.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I found a used Snap On 11mm flare nut wrench on Ebay, so let's see how tight that fits when it arrives.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,892 Posts
I found a used Snap On 11mm flare nut wrench on Ebay, so let's see how tight that fits when it arrives.
My Craftsman set was brand new also. The 14 mm for the bottom worked fine. Probably because it's bigger, but still loose fit.

I just ordered a new SK 11 mm..............probably will never use it since I will have it on hand.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
My challenge is that I was using a brand new Craftsman 11mm flare nut wrench from the beginning when I started to round it off.
Have done hundreds never had this problem. Mostly with a snap on 11mm wrench.
(In emergency have used some inexpensive.)

Hydraulic suspension and brakes are using the same flare nut size. ;)
Maybe you got a defective wrench...
Sometimes the wrench grooves are only in the center. Try grinding the wrench...

That particular bracket is notched to hold one side, from turning.
If you manage to get it out, and the threads are damaged, you can repair them with 1/8 national pipe thread die.
Hope this helps you.
Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Craftsman and a lot of other brands have gone down hill since they are no longer are made in the USA. If you read the reviews, there is a large number of people complaining about the slop. Lucky all my flare nuts broke loose. I could feel the wrench starting to slip and rounding the nuts.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After two weeks, I was finally able to remove my brake lines. These were the original lines and after 24 years, they just wouldn't break free using conventional methods. So, I've attached my unconventional approach for removal as I was desperate and desperate times call for desperate measures. Thanks to all for your input. It takes a village.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
After two weeks, I was finally able to remove my brake lines. These were the original lines and after 24 years, they just wouldn't break free using conventional methods. So, I've attached my unconventional approach for removal as I was desperate and desperate times call for desperate measures. Thanks to all for your input. It takes a village.
And Thank you for sharing the methods attempted (BOTH the failed and successful) for the rest of us villagers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts