Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300TE 4matic - 300D
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Does anyone know why sometimes the brake light does not come on when you brake?

I have this problem that sometime it works and sometimes it don't.

Could it be the brake light switch sticking? If so how to cure this problem and where is the brake switch? Is it behind the pedal?

Thanking you in advance.

·
Registered
'93 300E 2.8L
211 Posts
brake light switch

a0015450109

if you are stepping on your brake and the light isnt going on in the rear, or in your tail lamps then your switch is stuck. $16.00

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
You have to remove the kick panel under the driver's side! The switch is behind the brake pedal. It's kind of tricky getting your hand in there but, definetly it's the brake switch!

·
Registered
300TE 4matic - 300D
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info.

I have found some more information with regards to changing the brake light switch.

www.bimmerzone.com/brakelight.htm

I noticed that the instrutions are for the model E36. Would these instrutions be the same for the W124 300TE??

I brought the brake light switch for £7.00 and will try to fit it later.

·
Registered
300TE 4matic - 300D
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The instructions are different for the W124.

Remove panel from under dash and you should be able to locate the switch on top of the brake pedal. Remove the two plugs at the back and twist the brake switch off.

Insert the new one and twist it on, reconnect the two plugs.

As you can see from the pictures the old switch was well worn the length of the contact was shorten.

Well I've got my brake lights back.

Thanks for the help :)

Attachments

·
Registered
95 E300D
154 Posts
could be lamp holder

I had a similar problem on my W124 Wagon. I read that the lamp holders become loose with age and contact starts to become intermittent, even if you bend contacts etc. So I replaced the lamp holders (cheap parts to buy from MB) and the problem was immediately solved. Took 5 minutes to replace them as they have a flying lead with a plug on the end. Maybe this is also your problem.

Keith

1 - 8 of 8 Posts