Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300CD
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this kit from Gary Rose on Ebay:
MERCEDES W123 123 BRAKE LIGHT UPGRADE 300D 300CD 280E: eBay Motors (item 300483045379 end time Nov-18-10 08:21:20 PST)

I've purchased stuff from him before and he always ships fast and the kits are very well put together.

It took about 15 minutes to install and the kit came with the bulbs needed too. Here's my CD with the brake lights the way they should be. :thumbsup:

I also have a third brake light from a w126 that I'm getting ready to install in the rear window. Then it will be just the way I want it.

·
Registered
Daily Drive 82 240D 4 speed
291 Posts
lights look good, but i have to say the license plate looks even better.

seems like a fair price too. Are they brighter too or is that just the way it looks in the picture.... might think about getting myself these.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I'm planning on getting a Palomino 3rd brake light w/ W201 mount to use in my 300D. I think the W124 and W126 mounts are too "high" but not sure. I'll wait until you post pics of your W126 3rd brake light and see if it's too high or just right.

I too have the brake light mod and it has helped get the attention of drivers behind expecting dim brake lights from an old car like ours.

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,939 Posts
I was at the junkyard today and had a shot at getting a 3rd brake light from a W124 but the housing fell apart as soon as I touched it. Definitely been in the sun too long.:mad:

I pulled some sockets + wiring from another 240 that was there so I'll be doing the 4-light mod this weekend.

·
Registered
1985 300CD
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything in the kit is brand new and I never have time to go to junk yards.

If I'm not on stay at home dad duty with my 3 and 4 year olds, I want to be working on the car, not searching for parts.:thumbsup:

If you have time to hit the junk yards, and more importantly, the junk yards near you have older Mercedes in them, definitely go pull the parts and save some money.

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,063 Posts
$16? A junkyard would likely give you the 2 sockets.
At my favorite chain of junkyards a "socket" is $2.99. Regarding the kit - I assume that it is a wire and socket that adds a brake light to the US-unused rear fog light lens, is that correct? Seems like a nice idea.

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo , 1983 380SL , 1995 E320 , 1999 C43AMG, 2007 E350
171 Posts
I too bought the kit and it was very easy to install and a big improvement too. I replaced the license plate bulbs with led's but don't know that they look as bright as yours. I personally do not want the third brake light.

·
Registered
1985 300CD
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today I prepped the third brake light for the CD. I was lucky enough to get two lights to piece together. Thanks to Fulcrum525 I had a light with a perfect reflector and gasket, but a cracked housing and melted lens. Thanks to Shaggydiesel, I had a complete, crack free light with the mounting tower for a w126, but it had a bad reflector and no gasket.

I disassembled both lights and harvested all the good parts to make one perfect light. Then I cleaned everything and painted it with Palomino SEM Color Cote. I also had to cut the mounting tower to fit in the rear window of the CD.

All that's left is to run the wires up to the light and it's complete. I think it looks great.

The blue piece is what I had to cut off the mounting tower.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Nice! As the old saying goes, it looks like it grew there.

·
Registered
1985 300CD
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice! As the old saying goes, it looks like it grew there.
Thanks Joe.:thumbsup:

Once I get it wired, I'll post a pic of all the brake lights lit up.:D

·
Registered
1985 300CD
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
'83 300CD, '11 Ford Flex Limited, '96 Ford F-350 PSD
638 Posts
looks good dude :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1985 300CD
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
looks good dude :thumbsup:
Thanks Shaggy.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I wired up the third brake light today.

I removed the rear hat tray/deck and drilled a hole for the wires to enter the light. Then I ran the wires down the driver side rear speaker hole into the trunk. I trained the wires along the existing wire bundle that goes to the brake lights. I attached the ground at the fender well where the other grounds are bolted and spliced the positive into the black wire with the red stripe.

·
Registered
1985 300D W123 Cali
1,408 Posts
Looks good Chad. I too got the kit from Gary and am very pleased with it.

For a bit of coin, you can get Hella 3rd light kits. Call Daniel Stern Lighting. He's got three different angles, but I'm not sure which is right for the 123.

·
Registered
1985 300CD
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks good Chad. I too got the kit from Gary and am very pleased with it.

For a bit of coin, you can get Hella 3rd light kits. Call Daniel Stern Lighting. He's got three different angles, but I'm not sure which is right for the 123.
Thanks ::matthew! My third brake light was free.:thumbsup: Well ... it cost my time, some left over SEM Color Cote, wire and connectors I already had.:D

·
Registered
1985 300D W123 Cali
1,408 Posts
the comment about the third light was mostly for others looking to do something similar...

The palomino back def. looks better than the basic black you'd get from an aftermarket one. :thumbsup:

You always do great work and your write ups are certainly helpful to those looking to do the same thing.

·
Registered
1985 300CD
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I can't find a decent w124 wagon third brake light to modify for my w123 wagon, I may have to buy a kit from Daniel Stern Lighting.

The SDL and CD are great now, but the wagon had/has the worst lighting of all of them.:( I've seen LED bars added to the top of the hatch window, but I don't like how that looks.

·
Registered
'83 300D
638 Posts
I found a palomino third brake light in a w124 from the local p-n-p, other than a slightly melted lens it was in great shape.

Until I dropped it as I was leaving the yard. The hunt contnues...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts