Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally changed out my brake light switch. Getting the panel off under the dash was a challenge so I thought I would post some pics to make it easier for the next guy... :)

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

3a.jpg

4a.jpg

5a.jpg

6a.jpg

7a.jpg

8a.jpg

9a.jpg

10a.jpg

To be continued next post...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Brake light switch DIY part 2

Here's the rest of the pics.
11a.jpg

12a.jpg

13a.jpg

14a.jpg

You can now withdraw the panel from the car. You'll need to lie on your back on the floor under the steering wheel to see the brake light switch.

Here's a link that another member posted that shows the location of the brake light switch. I couldn't get my camera up there...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157631414371216/

Cheers!
Fred

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Nice work, Freddo. :thumbsup:

Just one tip, if I may: rather than using a screwdriver (5th picture) to get those trim clips to separate, pick up one of the auto trim kits at Harbor Freight. It's an assortment of plastic trim release tools and that way there's virtually no chance of damaging the trim pieces.

Oh, and I will bet that you can use JB weld to fix the broken clip arm (1st pic in second post), glue it up, then fill it in and build it up some. Lightly sand those flat surfaces so it will better adhere. Great stuff. ;)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice work, Freddo. :thumbsup:

Just one tip, if I may: rather than using a screwdriver (5th picture) to get those trim clips to separate, pick up one of the auto trim kits at Harbor Freight. It's an assortment of plastic trim release tools and that way there's virtually no chance of damaging the trim pieces.

Oh, and I will bet that you can use JB weld to fix the broken clip arm (1st pic in second post), glue it up, then fill it in and build it up some. Lightly sand those flat surfaces so it will better adhere. Great stuff. ;)
Thanks Greg! If I'd known then what I know now, I'd get the trim tool kit... :surrender:

As for the broken clip, I just put the panel back in and the remaining clips seem to hold it quite well - no gaps, no rattles or anything. Good old German redundancy... :D

Fred

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
In case you get up on the north end of Contra Costa Blvd...

(the image has an embedded link to the item at HF)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In case you get up on the north end of Contra Costa Blvd...

(the image has an embedded link to the item at HF)

Thanks Greg!

Rather than use the gas to drive there, I ordered it online. $6.99 plus tax plus $6.99 shipping. Not bad! :thumbsup:

Fred

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thank you very much for the DIY on removing that panel, but I'd like to point out that the red handle in several of the pictures is the hood release, not the parking brake release. :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much for the DIY on removing that panel, but I'd like to point out that the red handle in several of the pictures is the hood release, not the parking brake release. :)
Duh! You are correct! Thanks for pointing that out... :surrender:

Another example of me rushing through a project... :mad

Fred

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
fosmith
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing