Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading a few posts from this forum about the brake light problem that these vehicles have.
I have an truck repair business and work on MB and BMW's for my friends and associates.

Tonight I had one of my friends daughters cars that had no brake lights at all. After determining that the problem was in the housing I thought for a while and decided to try gas welding the metal to fill the gap that was burned in it by the heat from the contact in the bulb holder. It was successful.

To fix first the tail light housings need to be removed
then the band of metal that is bad needs to be bent up and away from the plastic of the housing.
Then gas weld (oxy acetaline) then finish grind with a Dremil tool.

You need to be proficient in welding to attempt this because the metal band is very thin but it works well.
Maybe even take it to a shop and have it welded and ground smooth...

I would do it for people here in So Cal but I would have to squeeze them in. I'm really busy...

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
Thanks... but an oxy torch on a plastic housing is a bit extreme for me. Trouble is the conductive rails in the light assembly are galvanised steel, so you will have burned the zinc off and so rust could be the next issue.
Our posts suggest either a directly wired bulb socket with longish pigtails, or use the LED tail lamps.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... but an oxy torch on a plastic housing is a bit extreme for me. Trouble is the conductive rails in the light assembly are galvanised steel, so you will have burned the zinc off and so rust could be the next issue.
Our posts suggest either a directly wired bulb socket with longish pigtails, or use the LED tail lamps.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Maybe you missed the part where I said to bend the metal away from the plastic. When welding you can point the torch in the direction you want the heat to go. Away from the plastic. This repair I have done will surely last as long or longer than the car will...

By the way I like your signature line...

·
Premium Member
2007 SLK 280
66 Posts
If it's an R170 you need to return it to a dealer for replacement (free) of the tailight assemblies under a NHTSA recall. Fire hazard as you may already have seen. Plenty of threads can guide you on the recall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts