Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560 SEC
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The red Brake light on the dash cluster is on all the time. The brakes feel really spongy but engage when pushed to the floor. I pulled all 4 tires off and the brake pads look brand new. I just got the car a few months ago. I flushed out the old fluid (was clean) and put in new brake fluid. The Master cylinder is full.

what is going on?

Anyone?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,156 Posts
It also could be indicating a fault. And if your brakes are spongy isnt the master cylinder likely to be at fault?

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
The red Brake light on the dash cluster is on all the time. The brakes feel really spongy but engage when pushed to the floor. I pulled all 4 tires off and the brake pads look brand new. I just got the car a few months ago. I flushed out the old fluid (was clean) and put in new brake fluid. The Master cylinder is full.

what is going on?

Anyone?
How did you flush out the old fluid?

Was the light on before this, or only after?

·
Registered
32 Posts

what is going on?

Anyone?
The brake light comes on for various reasons. 1. Parking brake engaged, 2. Master cylinder low, and 3. The front and back brake systems do not have equal pressure. I'm banking on #3. This is probably because one system has air in it.

Was the fluid flush an a attempt to fix the brake problem?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts