Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

On board computer says the lamp is defective on my e300D 1999 diesel. I checked the rear passenger brake light and it was burned out. I went to AZ and got what I think is the correct bulb, replaced it and it won't come on. I scuffed some corrosion from the socket and still no luck.

Took the tail light socket from the working driver side brake light assembly and put it in the passenger assenbly, still no go. It does not blow bulbs but they still do not come on either. (only the driver side lights). I checked the fuses and they were still good.

What would be the next option? Purchase a whole new passenger tailight assembly? That was my next step but if someone can suggest one last trouble shooting tip I wouldn't mind doing that.

On another note, I had a buddy who owns a speed shop fabricate me a 3 inch stainless turbo back exhaust with cat delete-- it really opened that car up and also cleaned up the smoke quite a bit!

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Hi Matt and welcome to the forum. Please take a moment to complete your user profile, available via the "User CP" link.

I have never seen the tail lamp bulbs for my car at Auto Zone or any other parts chain. You need to get them from the dealer, or an online source dealing in MB parts.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
+1 on Matt L's advice. Dealer or online is the only place to find most of the bulbs for the W210. The tails are particularly odd, they are 150-degree pins instead of the 180s you will find in regular parts places. I suppose you might be able to jam it in to the little plastic socket but you might damage the socket that way.

The rear sockets can also be problematic, there is some information in the HELP/DIY stickies at the top of this forum.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
The attached picture is NOT the taillight bulb (it's actually the City Light bulb) but I offer it to show you what I mean by the 150-degree pins. Rather than being directly across from each other (180 degrees) they're separated by only 150 degrees (or 210 if you measure the other angle!).

Attachments

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
7225LL from any parts store is the brake light

Check power to the socket with a multimeter ,you may have a bad ground wire.
ohlord:bowdown:
since you moved the socket that was good and could not get the bad side to work it may take some probing with the multimeter further up the line to find where the power is getting interuped.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update- fixed

Hey guys,

It was simpler than I thought. In a nutshell, the socket had to be in just the right spot for it to make contact with the positive power. The light bulbs I got from Autozone fit perfectly. I know someone mentioned the bulbs are off a few degrees but I looked at the german one and the AZ one and they looked spot on. Anyway, I situated the socket on the contacts and hit it with a spot of adhesive to keep it there. All good now. Thanks for the replies. Now have to figure out intermittent a/c on left driver side vent. I'll save that for another post. I'm just happy now the wife can drive around without getting pulled over for taillight violation. Now, if I can only get her to slow down...

-Matt

·
Registered
1997 E320 2000 E320 4 Matic Wagon
7 Posts
I have been changing brake light bulbs in my 2000 E320 wagon for the past couple of months and finally checked the NHTSA website to see if there have been any recalls for this problem. I found a campaign #05V505000 which describes the problem exactly and mentions that the dealer will replace the rear lamp modules under a recall. I brought the car in to the dealership today with a copy of the recall, but the dealer said it only applied to the SLK models. They said the problem was that the bulbs were not MB bulbs and installed new bulbs and said that would take care of the problem. Twenty minutes later the warning light came on again that the bulb was out. I returned to the dealership and they said the lamp modules had to be replaced but they were not covered under a recall. They ordered the new corner tail lamps at $104.00 each and will install them Saturday. If MB recognizes the problem exists for the SLK model, why won't they recognize the problem exists for the E Class? More complaints need to be filed with the NHTSA for the E Class brake light problem or we will be changing lamp modules as often as we change our oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts