Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
4,103 Posts
Metal on metal, or so I'm told.
Oh I thought you had already changed them.

Done means shot, kaput, junk, got you.

·
Registered
2006 Mercedes-Benz E350 4 matic W211
7 Posts
Instead of going using C clamps for the pistons I went to Autozone.you pay up front ($69)for a universal ( rental) kit that ables you to "push" the pistons back. In this kit I found the exact size as the pistons and SLOWLY pushed the piston back in place. ( you might call it turning,( if it that what you call it hobby, I'm just trying to help) after the job got done I went back to and got the money back. If you don't want to return it...you payed for it. By the way if you order the pads on line...please speak to respresentive and give them the vin to make sure you got the correct order. Autohauz couldn't help me and went to dealer.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
29,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Instead of going using C clamps for the pistons I went to Autozone.you pay up front ($69)for a universal ( rental) kit that ables you to "push" the pistons back. In this kit I found the exact size as the pistons and SLOWLY pushed the piston back in place. ( you might call it turning,( if it that what you call it hobby, I'm just trying to help) after the job got done I went back to and got the money back. If you don't want to return it...you payed for it. By the way if you order the pads on line...please speak to respresentive and give them the vin to make sure you got the correct order. Autohauz couldn't help me and went to dealer.
The reason I ask is, for instance, VW caliper pistons need to be turned in rather than pushed in. And there is a special tool for that.

·
Registered
Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
4,103 Posts
Unless it is a AMG, its a single piston caliper, which takes this.

I know its cheap looking, but if you use it 10X, it paid for itself 5X.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry nobby. I didn't have a clue there was a difference in turning and pushing. This newbie, mom, was happy I did the rear brake pads. Maybe I was lucky just to push them in. Have to say though the car brakes like a champ. Put original pads on and wish I would have used anti squeak paste.

·
29,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sorry nobby. I didn't have a clue there was a difference in turning and pushing.
To be honest, I didn't either until recently.

The parking brake froze on my VW....it has rear disc brakes....and the parking brake uses the pistons to lock the pads against the rotors.

Through a little GOOGLE research I discovered that the piston on the calipers actually twist out when applied requiring them to be twisted back in when replacing the pads.

Attachments

·
29,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well.....a lot of warnings and preparation and reading for a job that I was nervous about due to the SBC and all for not.

I put the whole car in the air on jack stands, closed all the doors and disconnected the SBC controller.

The front brakes were at about 40% but the rotors were not wearing well........turns out the front pads were NOT OEM and they were eating the rotors. Even the brake sensor had been modified to fit.....the left side takes a gray sensor (50% wear?) and it had been SPLICED with a black sensor (75% wear?) because the incorrect pads were installed.

So new pads and rotors in the front and new pads on the rear.

Closed everything up, reconnected the SBC and turned on the car. The SBC pump cycled for 30 seconds and that was it.

The car now brakes like a champ.

The engine oil change was something else....there is no dipstick on this car! Who thought that was a good idea?

And searching for the drainplug was a bloody treasure hunt. Oh and I guess I live in a cave beause I could only guess at the oil filter location.

Anyways....it's done, drank some beer, ate some food and told some lies.

All in all a good MAN DAY, eh?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi nobby,
This was the exact same "rental kit" I got from auto zone. Like I mentioned before I paid this kit up front for $69 and after I got rear pads done I brought the kit back and got the money back. I had a problem removing the rotors. Mercedes dealer said it needed special tools...After I a good search I found on u-tube how to do this with some smaller bolts than the opening in the caliper mount, washers and couple wrenches. Instead of pulling the rotors off on outside you push the two smaller long bolts from inside through caliper holes. Attach two washer on inside caliper, screw now another nut against it and then put another nut at end of your bolt pushing against the rotor. While holding the inside nut tight with wrench against the caliper you turn with wrench the bolt and this will push the rotor out. Soaking for 24 hrs first might help. I have a hard time explaining this, since I'm Dutch. But this is the trick to gets these sticky rotors off without torch. Nobby, great job getting it all done....mom Houkie.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts