Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy that needs front pads and rotors and rear pads on a 2005 E320CDI.

I have never worked on newer Benzes and neither of us has a maintenance manual for this car.

I do understand that there is some sort of funky system involved and "don't open the doors" kind of warnings.

What I need is a good detailed thread for this adventure....I did a search but didn't find comprehensive instructions.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have a buddy that needs front pads and rotors and rear pads on a 2005 E320CDI.

I have never worked on newer Benzes and neither of us has a maintenance manual for this car.

I do understand that there is some sort of funky system involved and "don't open the doors" kind of warnings.

What I need is a good detailed thread for this adventure....I did a search but didn't find comprehensive instructions.

Thanks
If the car is an 03-05 Benz they have the SBC braking system which is fully electronic. When you're doing the brake change, don't unlock/lock the car, do not open the doors. Id recommend removing the battery as the car does a PRE-Check when you unlock it and when you open the drivers door, which involves pumping fluid do the brakes. You don't want this to happen when working on your car.

The rest is fairly simple, just remember to install new sensors and clip the pads fastener over as they will rattle if not installed.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
The only real trick is to disable the SBC ("Stupid Brake Control") system before you start, other than that it's much the same.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,763 Posts

Thanks
Please see the DIY stick thread at the top of the forum.

·
29,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Purple Moderator
21,763 Posts
Also check the post in there about the SBC deactivation.
You probably have all your fingers and both thumbs. It will be easier to post your results with all of them attached. :D

·
29,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also check the post in there about the SBC deactivation.
You probably have all your fingers and both thumbs. It will be easier to post your results with all of them attached. :D
The way I understand it.............if I unplug the SBC and never touch anything but the brakes on the car I should be good to go.

·
Purple Moderator
21,763 Posts
Correct. Disconnect the big connector from the SBC unit and it will have no power.

·
Registered
01C240 gone; 02ML320 gone; 04E320.4M; 06 ML350
99 Posts
The easiest and simplest way to deactivate the SBC: before you jack up your car, shut-off the engine, take out your SmartKey, turn off the tow-away alarm by pressing the button on your overhead control panel, close all doors, lock the car and hide the Smart Key for the next 1½ hours (which is the average duration for a front brake job).

The SBC is not active when the doors are locked and the engine is not running.

·
29,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked up the required parts the other day.

Oil filter
7 litres of Mobil 1 oil
drain plug washer
front rotors
front pads
rear pads
brake sensors

$460 CDN all from my local MB dealer.

Printed off some brake change instructions and will attempt this on Monday....weather permitting. I'll do it in my garage but I am not sacrificing my old SL to a blinding snow storm.

·
Registered
Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
4,103 Posts
Picked up the required parts the other day.

Oil filter
7 litres of Mobil 1 oil
drain plug washer
front rotors
front pads
rear pads
brake sensors

$460 CDN all from my local MB dealer.

Printed off some brake change instructions and will attempt this on Monday....weather permitting. I'll do it in my garage but I am not sacrificing my old SL to a blinding snow storm.
Where is the fluid?

·
29,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
It will be in brown bottles perfectly organized in a cardboard box in a qty of either 12 or 24....I'm hoping.
I was just saying, if your doing all this work to get good brakes, why wouldn't you flush out the brake fluid?

A suggestion, that's all.

·
29,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was just saying, if your doing all this work to get good brakes, why wouldn't you flush out the brake fluid?

A suggestion, that's all.
And a good one. Not my car.

But the brakes are done and almost undrivable.

I will do the brakes and set up a maintenance program with my buddy. There will be lots more to address, I'm sure. But I have limited time and I don't relish working in my cold garage.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts

·
29,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
2006 Mercedes-Benz E350 4 matic W211
7 Posts
I have done the rear brakes on e350 06. Raise car. Press tow alarm to deactivate alarm after raising car.( later this will automatically turn off if you stick key in). Check if brake fluid is just on your max level and not overfilled. You can keep lid on if only you turn pistons very very slowly back. Now with key lock car. And put even reserve key awaySBI doesn't work then. Remember SBI works on hood too. So DO NOT open hood to check brake fluid. You only need one sensor ( one on front, one on rear) You need T40 (3/8)wrench socket on rear ( insert on back caliper in rubber bushings). After job done unlock with key. Check fluid. Without starting press gas pedal like 20 times. You hear SBI come on. Now press couple times firmly. You will hear more noise. Now start car and do the same without driving. You want to prevent all the warning to show up in dash, so better overdo the pressing on the pedal. SBI: computer system that pushes pistons out when unlocking key, so be smarter than your key and put them not in your pocket while working on it!!!

·
29,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can keep lid on if only you turn pistons very very slowly back.
The rear brake caliper pistons need to be TURNED back in and not pushed?

I might need another tool.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts