Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,911 Posts
reoterq - 4/13/2005 1:02 PM

Getting the "Brake Lining" warning. Can I change the pads w/out changing the discs? Thanks.
yes you can, but the question is are your rotors still good? how many mileage you got on those rotors anyway?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
97000 mi. and just started getting the warning yesterday. Worried that rotors will warp with new pads. That said, what are the pads of choice in each of these categories: economy, dust free? Thanks.

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
Even the OEM pads will give you dust just like the economy ones. Porterfield makes pads that are low on dust. It sounds like you might be due for a new set of rotors with that amount of miles. And you will need now sensors as well. Once they start making contact and turning the Brake Wear light on they wear down too.

·
Registered
2005 E320 4matic S/W
66 Posts
You have 97,000 miles on the car, but how many on the rotors?

I have a 2002 E320 4matic wagon, w/48,000 miles, stock wheels. Bought it w/28,000 on it, and don't know if anything was replaced prior to getting it. If it was, it was OEM.

My husband just put Brembo rotors, Axxis Ultimate Pads, and brakepad sensors on the front, and Axxis Deluxe pads on the rear (rotors had plenty of life left & the rear wheels have no brakepad sensors.) He used 1+ tubes of the MB brake paste. The front were very easy, but the rear took him a bit longer (he is a very proficient car guy.) The specific replacement rotors & pads were my choice based on my research. All I can say is HOLY COW what a difference!!! I highly recommend this combo. If you are going to the track, or drive in a country that permits high speeds (80+mph) you may want to consider the Sport Drilled rotors for more stopping power, but I drove cars w/both & really could not tell any difference. (I'm in the US).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts