Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to do pads and rotors on my 99 C280. Are there any special tools needed for the job?? Is there a special way that the rotors need to be removed and remounted?? I am looking to save some money by doing it myself... Any tips??

Thanks
dwedding

·
Registered
2014 E550
398 Posts
dwedding,
Visit an autoparts store first, they will be able to tell you what tools you need. It's fairly easy. You'll need to push back the piston, wedge a screw drive and you can do it although I don't recommend it. You can pick up a pad spreader.You'll need a torx screw to remove the calipers, not sure the size but i can find out since I have it in my tool box. All these parts you can get at any auto store like autozone or similar. Also use the serach function above and to the right. Familiarize yourself before attempting it. If you need pads or rotors, try germanstar, tire rack or the many others online to compare. I personaly enjoyed learning and doing it. Best of all is the money saved.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
2,604 Posts
dwedding - 2/22/2005 10:16 AM

I am planning to do pads and rotors on my 99 C280. Are there any special tools needed for the job?? Is there a special way that the rotors need to be removed and remounted?? I am looking to save some money by doing it myself... Any tips??

Thanks
dwedding
It's an easy job.

Make sure the top of the brake fluid res. is off before you try to push to piston back. I use a c-clamp and it works just fine to push 'em back.

Take your time, the job is very easy.

Make sure you have safety stands under the car as well!

When the brakes are installed, get in your car and pump the brake pedal a few times before test driving. I have seen people freak because they didn't feel a pedal after the job. You won't feel a pedal until 2-3 pumps (fluid getting back down to push the pads in.)

Check fluid for proper level and if you have to use a baster to pull excess out. You should not have to though.

If you get stuck or have any question just email me.

[email protected]

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's pretty easy. I just did it last week. I'll do a step by step of what I did (after jacking the car up and taking the wheel off).

1: Remove caliper retaining spring using a flat head screw driver and pry it out
2: using an alen socket (I think it's a #5 or 6)unbolt the caliper pins (oh yeah, there's a dust cover on em)
3: once again, using that flat head screw driver, pry the caliper off the bracket (you'll have to wrestle with this as the inner pad is clipped into the caliper piston)
4: remove old pads and reset caliper piston (most people use c-clamps, I like to use a big pair of channal locks)
5: Inspect your rotors. Mercedes never calls to have their rotors turned. So, check for thickness, run-out and warpage, and if there's any signs, replace the rotors (I didn't have to do this)
6: Clip the inside pad to the caliper piston and set the outside pad on the caliper bracket (oh, make sure you grease the back of the pads to ensure you don't get squeeks and squeels)
7: re-grease your caliper pins and bolt up your caliper body to the brakcet (make extra sure you don't cross thread them)
8: take your time and set the caliper retaining spring back on (this will fustrate you, but you just gotta keep going at it until its done)
9: go bed in your pads according to Stoptech's bed in procedure

and there you go, a brake service for a benz (well, C-serise at least).

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Sport Silver 125k miles, 1991 190e 2.6 White 231K, 1987 260e Charcoal 255k
11 Posts
Torx size

Just an FYI, the torx size for the front calipers is T45. And I used a non security one.

2000 C230 Kompressor Sport automatic

·
Registered
2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
2,604 Posts
Any idea if the procedure is vastly different for a 1995 C280? What are the differences?

Cheers,

Bill
:-=>

95 is easy. Just like a brake job on any other car IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts