Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 300CDT / 95 Accord / 07 Acura RDX
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... first major project: Fix Dieter's brakes so he can stop.

I'm wondering if you guys have a preference as to parts brands... I know, Bosch for filters, plugs, etc... just wondering what y'all lean on when it comes to stopping your Benz. I actually have my upcoming birthday weekend off, and am looking forward to FINALLY getting to do more than just look at the car (accountants' hours suck until 4/15...)

I'm looking to order standard brake job parts, as well as new wear sensors for all four wheels... and I'm going to go ahead and replace the brake fluid reservoir since it's leaking pretty badly. They'll all be going on an '83 300D turbo diesel. Much thanks in advance.

The least I can do for all yall's help is answer a tax question here and there, if y'all have any :)

·
Registered
1981 300 C D Bot with 14K miles.
525 Posts
Akebonos!!!

I changed to Akebonos. The dealership first had a fit and then agreed to do it.

For one week the brakes stuttered like ABS. Then the ceramics molded to the shape of the rotor. Wow, it stopped wonderfully straight and dives the front end. Feels so stable. Love them.

·
Registered
1984 300D, 1983 300TD, 1995 E300
435 Posts
x2 Akebono for brake pads. They've cut down on the amount of brake dust and stop just fine.

Brembo for brake rotors as they are only a few bucks more.

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,776 Posts
I put a set of PBR pads on it last time when I replaced all the rotors as well. I very happy with the feel as well as the performance. Can't comment on the longevity as of yet since they've only been on there since September.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Okay... first major project: Fix Dieter's brakes so he can stop.

I'm wondering if you guys have a preference as to parts brands... I know, Bosch for filters, plugs, etc... just wondering what y'all lean on when it comes to stopping your Benz. I actually have my upcoming birthday weekend off, and am looking forward to FINALLY getting to do more than just look at the car (accountants' hours suck until 4/15...)

I'm looking to order standard brake job parts, as well as new wear sensors for all four wheels... and I'm going to go ahead and replace the brake fluid reservoir since it's leaking pretty badly. They'll all be going on an '83 300D turbo diesel. Much thanks in advance.

The least I can do for all yall's help is answer a tax question here and there, if y'all have any :)
Only the front wheels need sensors. You'll need 4-6. 4 will go to the car, 2 in case you break the first 2 you attempt to install (or keep as spares). They're very cheap anyway.

Brake pads - if you're not picky with brake dust, Textar, Pagid, Mintex or Jurid are OEM brands. Personally I have Akebono ceramics. Installed November 2008 with new ATE rotors - NO problems. Pads are still thick and rotors have no premature wear.

Front calipers will require using a punch to push out the locking pins. The retaining clips will differ per brand - confirm if you have Bendix or ATE. Look up online stores to see if you can replace them too. They hold the brake pads in place and prevent rattling (act like a damper).

If you'll replace the reservoir, replace the grommets between the reservoir and master cylinder. Then bleed the MC in case any air gets deeper.

The brake reservoir can be cleaned with cheap brake fluid. Recap the reservoir, plug the bottom holes and wash the exterior thoroughly, while the brake fluid inside will slosh around to clean the inside surfaces.

Don't forget to reset the brake fluid level sensors, the BRAKE light will remain on if this is not done (or maybe it won't, but in case it happens you know what to do).

·
Registered
85 300CDT / 95 Accord / 07 Acura RDX
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With folks like mbeige... how am I going to learn by fire? :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I've got this job looming over me right now with the Wagon brakes. I believe that I have some additional concens due to the rear calipers dragging which cause significant premature wear. Not looking forward to gettting this done as it will need to be done by a local shop ($$$$).

I plan on using Akebono pads for no other reason than to keep my wheels clean.

I'm also considering putting on a set of vented cross/drilled discs on the car. Purely aesthetic, as I think they'd look good behind a set of R9's. Not sure if I'll just put them on the front or both front and rear.

However, I could use some input as to quality brands, reviews, fitment, etc. regarding aftermarket cross-drilled and vented discs. If they're no good, and don't last a reasonable amount of time, I will just use good ol' fashion OEM discs.

Any advice from forum members who have experience with those discs?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts