Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82' Euro 240D 84' 300D 01' SLK320 6 Speed Sport!
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its been a while since Ive shown my face around here, but Ive been busy this summer.
Anyway anyone have any advice on my W123's brake hop. Back story..I replaced my rotors and pads many months ago for the hop issue with new Ate components. When doing so I noticed that the old rotors had a slick spot where the rotor had sat against the pad..with new rotors/pads everything was great. Fast forward a bit and my 300D sat once again, due to tranny issues for about a month. Now my rotors are experiencing the same brake hop/pulse under heavy braking..any recommendations?

·
Registered
1983 300D
1,248 Posts
Do you know if your rotors had gotten rusted from sitting? If so, it might be just a matter of running it. The other thing to consider is what type of compound are you using for brake pads. Certain pads just do not have enough "bit" to wear down any imperfections on the face of the rotors.
Which probably means the rotors need to be resurfaced to get back the smooth braking feeling.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Just to be sure, did you clean the rotors prior to installation? They are often treated with a solvent to prevent them from rusting when on the shelf. Brake cleaner should take this out, or if you used a fine sand paper to physically remove them and get the rotor surface prepared prior to installation, this works too.

Also, if you used anti-squeal paste, did you make sure to use it only on the back part of the brake pads (not on the surface), as well as on the side of the pad contacting the pistons? Did you bed the brakes properly?

If you have either of those two crossed out (no problems found), then it may just be unused brakes as others mentioned.

·
Registered
82' Euro 240D 84' 300D 01' SLK320 6 Speed Sport!
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the replies. But yes, I have run the car for about a month now and still feel the hop, although it has lessened. When installing the ATE rotors, I used cleaner to remove the protective oil/grease and the pads are genuine Merc, so all should be well. Its not the first time I did this job, but its so humid around here lately that things rust very quickly. I am going to pull the wheels and inspect once again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts