Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 C240 93,000 miles.

Wondering if anyone can recommend a decent rotor / PAD set from a US retailr (online or something like Pepboys)....

I want to compare prices to what I have locally in Canada to see how much I'd save if I either pick them up in Buffalo or have them shipped.

Also wondering if my car has a brake wear indicator on the dash? There is nothing up there now but my brakes feel a bit mush...and a shop that recently swapped my winters out for me indicated that the brakes should be done soon..

Thanks..

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
There should be two sensors: one front and one rear. They work by grounding out against the rotor which completes the circuit and illuminates the indicator light on the instrument cluster.

I put Centric D&S rotors and Posi-Quiet pads on our C240. I bought them as a set from an eBay seller (v12motorsports) and they have been great, with good stopping power and no dust or squealing problems. They do "roar" a bit on hard stops, but that's typical of slotted rotors. I think I spent right over $300 for the whole set, and that was the upgraded rotors (electro-coat paint on the cap and edges to help with rust).

·
Registered
2005 C230 Kompressor Sedan
81 Posts
Just did the brakes on my 2005 with 61K miles.

Akebono 1121 for the front, come with 2 brake sensors, I only needed one.

CENTRIC 12835086 (128-35086) Rotors for the front, these are nice! Painted black on the non contact surfaces. 61 bucks each at rock auto. Old stockers had groves cut in them at only 61K miles.

Akebono 779 for the rears, came with no sensor, and didn't need any for the rear.

WAGNER BD125569 Rotor $ 27.79 each for the rear. These are plain jane, nothing special. Stock Rear rotors and pads didn't look that bad, but oh well, they are replaced now.

Car stops on a dime! No brake dust, no squealing, no vibrations, just smooth stops. The pads are super easy to replace, I wish I had put these on years ago just to get rid of the brake dust. With the rotors, you're going to need a BFH or you'll never get them off. I was wailing on them hard enough to sling iron chips and PB Blaster residue all over my garage, but they came off!

Love the Akebono Euro ceramic. Don't even think of buying a different pad. These even come with the brake moly to lube the back of the pads from squealing.

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
I have Akebono pads on my CLK550. They are good for no dust and the stop "OK", but they don't give the same firm, confident feeling as the OEM's I replaced. Also, they have a bad habit of squealing in reverse - with brakes applied or not. I won't be buying them again. Several others on the CLK forums complain about the same things. Maybe it's just a problem with Akebonos on the W209 V8's and the W203 will be fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just did the brakes on my 2005 with 61K miles.

Akebono 1121 for the front, come with 2 brake sensors, I only needed one.

CENTRIC 12835086 (128-35086) Rotors for the front, these are nice! Painted black on the non contact surfaces. 61 bucks each at rock auto. Old stockers had groves cut in them at only 61K miles.

Akebono 779 for the rears, came with no sensor, and didn't need any for the rear.

WAGNER BD125569 Rotor $ 27.79 each for the rear. These are plain jane, nothing special. Stock Rear rotors and pads didn't look that bad, but oh well, they are replaced now.

Car stops on a dime! No brake dust, no squealing, no vibrations, just smooth stops. The pads are super easy to replace, I wish I had put these on years ago just to get rid of the brake dust. With the rotors, you're going to need a BFH or you'll never get them off. I was wailing on them hard enough to sling iron chips and PB Blaster residue all over my garage, but they came off!

Love the Akebono Euro ceramic. Don't even think of buying a different pad. These even come with the brake moly to lube the back of the pads from squealing.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is 'BFH'? Thanks...

·
19,447 Posts
BFH = Big Fat Hammer, and yes, you may need one to get the rotors off of the hubs. A few pointers on doing that are to first use penetrating oil. There are holes in the hub, so on the fronts, spray there from the inside. Once the oil has a chance to work, place a wooden block horizontally, alternating on the rotor "hat" and the wheel hub, and tap on it (see illustrations below) and then tap on the rear of the rotor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts