Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97' E 320 //////02' C240/// 01E320
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I have a brief question regarding brake fluid ......
what kind does a 97 E320 require.....?

I just performed a brake job and bled some of the fluid out through the calipers to push the pistons back in and it is green .... I am wondering is this DOT3 or DOT4 and can I top it off w standard Fluid? I mean the clear kind available everywhere or do I have to top it off with the same green stuff....?

My friend says I can just top it off with DOT3 available at any retailer ... he says it's compatible.......Is this correct? or do I need to get some special kind at the dealer?......Please let me know .... thanks for you r help!!!!!

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,855 Posts
MB is recommending only its own fluids. Even when they are relabeled stuff that sells at other places for 1/2 price.
But would you risk wellbeing of the brakes for $8 savings?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
absolutely not I appreciate the advice ..... I guess i'll have to wait to buy it..... Do you know if there is anythig special aboutr their fluid?....is it Dot 3 or Dot 4?

·
Registered
1998 E320 Wagon
632 Posts
The MB brake fluid is DOT 4+. You can get the OE equivalent from a third party supplier like autohausaz. The color is clear.

Your brakes should be flushed once every 2 years. If that is due then you will be flushing out all the green stuff.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice I will check when I have a chance but if memory serves me I had the fluid flushed about 3 years ago ...so I am due......is the green fluid something only available at the dealer?.....Is there any advantage to it as opposed to the clear fluid available from autohaus?

I ended up draining about 2/3 of a cup of fluid....when I connected the hose to the caliper and pushed the piston back in ..... however the fluid in the reservoir didn't seem to move ...it is still at the Max fill line on the reservoir, it seems to drive fine... so was it overfilled before? I drove it about 8 miles and it did not change, still at Max...makes me wonder if I need to add any fluid at all......and btw the brakes performed just fine.

Thanks for all your help !!

·
Registered
1998 E320 Wagon
632 Posts
Regarding 'green' brake fluid I don't know if MB has their supplier add a dye or not. I use the Pentosin from autohausaz which is DOT 4 Low Viscosity (aka DOT 4+) and is a replacement for MB cars with electronic braking systems such as ASR and ESP. If you feel more comfortable with MB labelled fluid by all means use it. As has been pointed out, it's only a few dollars difference.

The fluid level didn't change as you were simply squeezing out the fluid behind the piston.

Flushing the system is replacing ALL the fluid with fresh. Brake fluid picks up moisture which can lead to corrosion. Many people on these forums use a flushing 'machine' either suction or pressure as do the dealer's mechanics. However, there is a factory approved manual method using the brake pedal. Let me know if you want the details.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,855 Posts
Many people on these forums use a flushing 'machine' either suction or pressure as do the dealer's mechanics. However, there is a factory approved manual method using the brake pedal. Let me know if you want the details.

Somebody smart on this forum made long reply describing that even the basic ABS system has a pressurized fluid reservoir that is closed and "standart" flushing will never access the fluid there. Suction method doesn't work at all, while 35 psi pressure will flush only main passages. That is even more complicated on SBC brakes and the only method for "fully" flush the system is with starmark computer.
Than nobody seems to mind flushing the +- 50% you can access and just do it more often. There is no physical way to flush 100% of fluid in any system on the car.

·
Registered
1998 E320 Wagon
632 Posts
The manual procedure is straight from the STAR W210 Service Manual Library DVD which contains the same procedures as the computer at the dealership.

Check Mercedes Benz Document AP42.00-P-4280BA titled "Replace Brake Fluid"

For W210 with ESP (except 210.072/272)

I used the procedure to flush my system. Based on MB's spec for the volume in the system I removed almost all the old fluid.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(222K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(186K Miles)
3,472 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.