Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BRAKE FLUID ?? I Got Castrol GT/LMA SYNTHETIC For ABS, Disc,And Drum Brake System Exceeds DOT 3 & DOT 4 Specs NEW Formuler.

Is This Ok To Use In My 2002 SL 500 ?
I'm Flushing Out All The Old Brake Fluid

Let Me Have Your Thinking On This Fluid
Thanks
Joe :Smoker:

P. S. I Looked All Over The Forum And Can't Find Anything On Brake Fluid !!!

·
Registered
1997 SL500
399 Posts
I am wondering the same thing, not sure what I will use yet though...

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am wondering the same thing, not sure what I will use yet though...
Well I Just Sent Castrol An E-mail And This Is What I Said.

Can I Use CASTROL GT LMA Brake Fluid In My M-Benz 2002 SL 500 If It Calles For Dot 4
Without Harming My Seals And Hoses,
I Am Going To Flush Out All The Old DOT 4 First
Thank You
Joe

P. S. What Does It Say On Your Cap???
Mine Sez DOT 4

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
12,182 Posts
Some will insist using only MB approved DOT-4 brake fluids.
But I think most SAE approved name brand ones should do.
Do not mix DOT-5 with other DOT. For that matter do not use DOT-5 period. It is for racing (high temperature application) and will not be effective for everyday use as temperature will never get that high.

Beware that depends on year/model of your car, you may need to open some valves at the ABS/ESP brake module in order to bleed that part of the system (I read it somewhere but don't recall off hand where, or how to do it).

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do not mix DOT-5 with other DOT. For that matter do not use DOT-5 period. It is for racing (high temperature application) and will not be effective for everyday use as temperature will never get that high.

Beware that depends on year/model of your car, you may need to open some valves at the ABS/ESP brake controller in order to bleed that part of the system (I read it somewhere but don't recall off hand where, or how to do it).
Well My Cap Said Use Dot 4
The Fluid Looks Good In It So I'LL Just Bleed One Wheel At A Time I Use The Mighty Vac Hand Pump ..I Might Be Ok
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Beware that depends on year/model of your car, you may need to open some valves at the ABS/ESP brake module in order to bleed that part of the system (I read it somewhere but don't recall off hand where, or how to do it).
Should I Use Ate Brake Fluid DOt 4
Here Is A Pic Of The Can
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1987 560SL Gone but not forgotten! & 1999 SL500 For Now
745 Posts
Joe,
Spec says DOT 4, can says DOT 4, Yes...

Bob

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joe,
Spec says DOT 4, can says DOT 4, Yes...

Bob
Ok Thank You
Where Is The Best Place To Buy ATE Rear Calipers ??
For Not To Much Money
Joe

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Joe, This parts provider is reliable and reasonably priced...

Parts Bin - Auto Parts and Accessories Catalog - 2002 Mercedes Benz SL500 Brake Caliper

A google search on the term 'ate+caliper+mercedes' may get you some other choices.

Bob
Well Thanks Bob.

I Called My Napa Dealer Parts House And I'm Getting Them For $70.00 X 2 = $140.00 Much Better For Right And Left Rear :)

Not $219.95 And $196.95 = $416.90 Way More Then I Want To Spend

But Thank You For Looking For Me That Was Real Nice Of You :thumbsup:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Well, your welcome, Joe-

If NAPA is selling the identical caliper that cheap, you got the deal of the decade-

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, your welcome, Joe-

If NAPA is selling the identical caliper that cheap, you got the deal of the decade-
Well I Don't See Anything Special About The Caliper. It's Only A 2 Piston Caliper.

Well Here Is Is

Browse Catalog >> Brake Systems >> Calipers & Caliper Hardware
Vehicle: 2002 >> Mercedes-Benz >> SL500
Item Number Price Select
Brake Caliper w/ Hardware - Left Rear (Semi-Loaded) - Remfd
Except Silver Arrow Edition All Supplied w/ Metal Pistons as Original Equipment SDC
24272420 $67.50
Core $33.33
Brake Caliper w/ Hardware - Right Rear (Semi-Loaded) - Remfd

Except Silver Arrow Edition All Supplied w/ Metal Pistons as Original Equipment SDC
$67.50
Core $33.33

NAPAONLINE

P. S. Napa Sells Very Good Parts.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ok Thank You
Where Is The Best Place To Buy ATE Rear Calipers ??
For Not To Much Money
Joe
Joe, as above, you originally asked for a source for ATE calipers which I sent you. The ATE's were new.

You ended up with remanufactured brand unknown calipers. If all you really wanted was the cheapest ones regardless of brand, you might have said so and I wouldn't have wasted time on it since you apparently already shopped NAPA. Good luck with the brakes.

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Joe, as above, you originally asked for a source for ATE calipers which I sent you. The ATE's were new.

You ended up with remanufactured brand unknown calipers. If all you really wanted was the cheapest ones regardless of brand, you might have said so and I wouldn't have wasted time on it since you apparently already shopped NAPA. Good luck with the brakes.
Ok Ok Don't Get Anal On Me Now,, I Believe I Said

But Thank You For Looking For Me That Was Real Nice Of You :bowdown:

Plus For Not To Much Money Does Not Mean NEW.
And I Did Not Make You Wast Your Time, I Was Hopeing You Did It Out Of The Kindness Of Your Heart :D

Thanks Again :bowdown:
:Smoker:

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,603 Posts
Don't be anal with Joe.
He wants to know about the best deal on calipers and oil.
First he asks for CASTOR oil then ATE. ;)
But all in all he is a good guy. :)
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
'99-SL500/'96-C280/'89-300TE/'01-3.0Ci/'05-X5 4.4i silver/black/'05 X5 4.4i black/black
144 Posts
the brake fluid GTLMA by Castrol exceeds DOT 3 and DOT 4, I belive it is SYNTHETIC and it is fine if mixed with the old one and if you are not sure if you did flush all fluid out and some was left and by that mixed up. YES you can use it in the SL but I will rate it at good and for sure not best brake fluid - (I do have that cr... "thing" in my 330CI and I can feel downgrade difference compared back to my factory original fluid fill. In my SL I flushed with ATE super blue and it is the BEST brake fluid like BREMBOS make the best brake caliipers awwww now will get comments on different brands :) ! You can get ate super blue (or gold) from performanceproducts for like $15 per bottle of 1Liter, but you will need around 600mls for complete flush. make sure you don't pump more than 12psi your brake bleeder - ! 2psi will go down on every calliper so keep eye on the gage! Also get rubber mallet to tap GENTLY on the callipers to get all the small bubbles from the inner corners. BEFORE performing brake bleeding get in your car and pump your brake pedal more than 70 times (yes it does sound crazy but 70times should work out.....) by that you will manually open the small "ports" (gates, call it whatever) inside your ABS unit otherwise you will not be able to flush the brake fluid from the ABS, unless of course if connected to the MB star computer. It took me 2 hours, but if I do flush NOT on my cars it will take me 20 min max ........

PS: btw get masking tape to cover your fenders, oh and you will need 9mm open key for the calliper bleeder screws. If you don't use torque wrench (I did not use it on purpose), before opening the calliper nipples MARK them with either marker or make some small scratch on the screw so when closing them it will align with the marks as it was before - ( and yeah of course that does not mean the previous person did it corecctly, but so far if it was good - it should be again good :) ) .......

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the brake fluid GTLMA by Castrol exceeds DOT 3 and DOT 4, I belive it is SYNTHETIC and it is fine if mixed with the old one and if you are not sure if you did flush all fluid out and some was left and by that mixed up. YES you can use it in the SL but I will rate it at good and for sure not best brake fluid - (I do have that cr... "thing" in my 330CI and I can feel downgrade difference compared back to my factory original fluid fill. In my SL I flushed with ATE super blue and it is the BEST brake fluid like BREMBOS make the best brake caliipers awwww now will get comments on different brands :) ! You can get ate super blue (or gold) from performanceproducts for like $15 per bottle of 1Liter, but you will need around 600mls for complete flush. make sure you don't pump more than 12psi your brake bleeder - ! 2psi will go down on every calliper so keep eye on the gage! Also get rubber mallet to tap GENTLY on the callipers to get all the small bubbles from the inner corners. BEFORE performing brake bleeding get in your car and pump your brake pedal more than 70 times (yes it does sound crazy but 70times should work out.....) by that you will manually open the small "ports" (gates, call it whatever) inside your ABS unit otherwise you will not be able to flush the brake fluid from the ABS, unless of course if connected to the MB star computer. It took me 2 hours, but if I do flush NOT on my cars it will take me 20 min max ........

PS: btw get masking tape to cover your fenders, oh and you will need 9mm open key for the calliper bleeder screws. If you don't use torque wrench (I did not use it on purpose), before opening the calliper nipples MARK them with either marker or make some small scratch on the screw so when closing them it will align with the marks as it was before - ( and yeah of course that does not mean the previous person did it corecctly, but so far if it was good - it should be again good :) ) .......

IS THIS WITH THE ENG RUNNING ???

((BEFORE performing brake bleeding get in your car and pump your brake pedal more than 70 times (yes it does sound crazy but 70times should work out.....) by that you will manually open the small "ports" (gates, call it whatever) inside your ABS unit otherwise you will not be able to flush the brake fluid from the ABS))

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't be anal with Joe.
He wants to know about the best deal on calipers and oil.
First he asks for CASTOR oil then ATE. ;)
But all in all he is a good guy. :)
Regards.
aam.

See AAM
This Is Why I Love The Sight, Because Of Guys Like You AAM
I Am Working On Everything, Because I'M Retired And I Have Nothing To Do :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts