Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the onboard maintenance computer monitor brake fluid replacment? I know on my BMW it does. So when I flush it, I reset the computer for brake fluid service and it's bascially a 2yr count down reminder. Wondering if my wife's '08 C300 has that or not. B/c I need to flush the brake fluid. It's getting nasty looking.

2nd question is what brake fluid does the car spec? I see it's a DOT 4 with some name after it. I guess I'll stick with OEM benz fluid. I stick with OEM BMW fluid on my car.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Barolo Red P2 MM leather 18" AMGs new style folding mirrors + 1984 944
327 Posts
Does the onboard maintenance computer monitor brake fluid replacment? I know on my BMW it does. So when I flush it, I reset the computer for brake fluid service and it's bascially a 2yr count down reminder. Wondering if my wife's '08 C300 has that or not. B/c I need to flush the brake fluid. It's getting nasty looking.

2nd question is what brake fluid does the car spec? I see it's a DOT 4 with some name after it. I guess I'll stick with OEM benz fluid. I stick with OEM BMW fluid on my car.
There is no such computer. MB brake fluid is changed every two years so just make a note in your service records. You do keep written service records, don't you?

As to brake fluid, DOT4 is DOT4. All the same. How do you change the fluid, considering the ABS/ESP unit?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, cool. Yes I keep written maintenance records. To change it I either have the wife pump the brake pedal and do it the old fashion way, or use my Motive power bleeder. Dot 4 is Dot 4, but some brands are better. I know the BMW fluid has higher boiling spec's than say DOT 4 Valvoline or Napa brand. If it's not ridiculously expensive I'll stick with benz fluid. Or BMW fluid being it's priced decent.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Barolo Red P2 MM leather 18" AMGs new style folding mirrors + 1984 944
327 Posts
Ok, cool. Yes I keep written maintenance records. To change it I either have the wife pump the brake pedal and do it the old fashion way, or use my Motive power bleeder. Dot 4 is Dot 4, but some brands are better. I know the BMW fluid has higher boiling spec's than say DOT 4 Valvoline or Napa brand. If it's not ridiculously expensive I'll stick with benz fluid. Or BMW fluid being it's priced decent.
Pedal pumping does not work properly with ABS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts