Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I change brake fluid on my 2010 Mercedes GLK350 350 4matic by using a hand vacuum pump at each caliper and keeping the master cylinder full?

·
Registered
2008 E320 OM642 Bluetec1992 300D 2.5 Turbo (Sold @ 248k running strong), 1985 240D (sold)
89 Posts
That's how I've done it on all 3 MB cars I've owned. Makes it easy for one person to do it without help. Mityvac or the brass clone from Harbor Freight come with the brake bleeder kit included.
The dirty fluid bottle is small, so it takes a while to do a complete flush having to empty the bottle often. The grace of that is you don't accidentally run the master cylinder dry. When you dump the dirty fluid you also check and add clean fluid to the MC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou for the reply to my question on changing brake fluid. This is my first Mercedes and I wasn’t sure if this method of removing the brake fluid was safe. I’ve heard that pressure bleeding was a better way but I don’t have a pressure bleeder.

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,941 Posts
That age of car you should be able to do it the old fashioned way:

3/8 inch or 10 mm clear plastic tube (Lowes or Home Depot) cut to about 3 foot length, allow to straighten out overnight if necessary.

Fit one end of the tube over the caliper bleed nipple with a box wrench / ring spanner over the bleed nipple. 10 or 11 mm I think.

Put the other end in a mason jar or other brake fluid proof container of about 1/3 pint capacity (at a push an empty coke can will do but you won't be able to see the level of course), put on ground, add about half an inch of old brake fluid and make sure the tube end is below the top of the fluid. This creates an air lock to stop air being drawn back up the plastic tube later.

Top off the master cylinder with new brake fluid.

Slacken off the bleed nipple.

Pump the brake pedal, making sure to keep topping up the master cylinder, until the bubbles disappear from the tube and clean new brake fluid is seen. Having two (ideally three) people here helps: one to pump, one to top off and one to keep an eye on the plastic tube. Otherwise you can do all three yourself. Just be sure to keep an eye on the fluid level in the master cylinder. Otherwise you'll suck in air, and have to start all over.

Tighten up the bleed nipple and remove the plastic tube and wrench.

Repeat on all four corners.

·
Registered
2008 E320 OM642 Bluetec1992 300D 2.5 Turbo (Sold @ 248k running strong), 1985 240D (sold)
89 Posts
I've done it the way IwantedaJag suggests too. I used old water bottles. I'd poke a hole in the bottle near the neck and push the tubing in all the way to the bottom and leave the cap on so if it accidentally tipped over it didn't spill.
It just comes down to the method you prefer and if you want to buy the Mityvac or pressure bleeder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts