Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I m planning on changing my brake fluid soon. I have a pressure bleeder and have done this on other cars before. Just wondering if it s dot4 fluid and if I lock the car will that make the SBC brake system safe for me to work on. This is how it appears in the w211 s. Just checking for tips and advise for my first time on this w212. Thanks.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Completed the brake fluid flush today.. Easy, didn t even have to remove the rear wheels. I did remove the fronts because they seemed to hard to reach without them off and not having it up on a lift.

·
Registered
16 Posts
congrat cerbomark. if you have time can you please explain a little more detail how to do them. I'm plaining to do mine in the future so if you can provide the DIY it will be really helpful for this forum. thanks a lot

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

This is what I used, Pressure bleeder with matching top to brake fluid reseviour on the car. Suction, collection container with tip to fit over brake bleeder tip(or you can use a small hose that fits over the brake caliper tip and a can), 11mm wrenches (two types, socket and open end).... Rags.

If you have a lift thats great. If not, if you are small enough, you can do the rears with the wheel on, you ll then need to remove front wheels unless maybe you have the car up on a lift. I removed one front wheel at a time using a good floor jack. Note, remove keys from the immediate area and I locked car so I didn t open doors or anything that might awaken the cars system (I was just paranoid)>

Take the cap off the brake reseviour and with the suction(turkey baster) remove fluid to about the Min. line. (No more). Refill with fresh fliud(to the top). Put about 40 oz of fluid into the break bleeder. Connect top of brake bleeder to reseviour with matching cap from the brake bleeder kit. Pump up to about 10 psi or so. Now you are ready to start. Part 2 to follow.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go to the passengers rear wheels. Each wheel has a black rubber cover over the caliper fitting (so you know you have the correct fitting). They are all on the inside side of the caliper. Remove. Just break the fitting free using the socket. Then get your piece of hose and connect it over the fitting and continue to loosen slowly until fluid starts to drain. Do not make more than a turn or two because if the fitting comes out you will have a mess. It will drain slowly(a minute or two to fill the small cup). When done tighten with socket. (Do not overtighten). I removed two cup each from the rears and one each from the fronts.

Then do the same on the other rear, then the passengers side front and driver front last.

At all times, keep the pressure pumped up between each cup you drain. Keep and eye on the level in the res to be sure the pump is re filling it as you go. When done suction out the over fill in the res..Max level. Part 3(a few cautions)to follow

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few cautuions: Be aware with the pressure container when opening it up or removing it from the res when under pressure. Loosen the pressure bleeder cap slowly first if you need to gain access during the procedure. You dont want the cars brake fluid res to go below min during this procedure. You don t want air into the brake lines. The pressure bleeder should replace the res as you go along but watch it just to be safe.

If this seems to be too confusing, do not continue. Get someone to help you the first time. These are your brake you are working on:eek:.

Have rags on hand under the hood and one under the car with you.
Anyone on this site, feel free to correct or add to anything that is not clear or may help.

Be sure you know what you are doing when jacking the car up so you do not damage anything. Do not go under car without jack stands.

·
Registered
16 Posts
thank you so much for taking your time to write this guide. it seem like a job that you can do at home when you have free time. one more question tho. have you ever change transmission fluid on this car ever? i do some research and seem kinda complicated so just wanna know if this is a doable at home or just better off take the car to the dealer. thanks so much again

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you so much for taking your time to write this guide. it seem like a job that you can do at home when you have free time. one more question tho. have you ever change transmission fluid on this car ever? i do some research and seem kinda complicated so just wanna know if this is a doable at home or just better off take the car to the dealer. thanks so much again
I just leave the sealed trans system alone. It should more than last the 100K or less that I ll have the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts