Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 88 300Ce, and need am getting a slight spongy feeling on the brakes. I have recently had the front discs and pads changed, but i dont think the fluid has been changed for the last 3 years. So before i send it down to my mechanic, can someone elighten me to the procedure of renewing the fluid?

Apart from that, the cars great, no problems except the typicla warm start issue!!!!! but i will be changing the incjector seals to see if that helps...

thanks!

·
Registered
1980 300SD
209 Posts
I have bled my own a few times. What a potential mess. Worth the $60 they charge at the shop. You run the risk of breaking off your bleeder screws and that's just a bad time.
Basically after securing the car with jackstands, you attach some clear tubing to the nipple on each brake caliper, then have somebody in the car pump the brake slowly and not too far (not to the floor! Or you can damage your master cylinder) and you tighten and loosen the screw to coincide with the pumping and catch the fluid in a jar without letting any air back into the system. Start at the farthest caliper from the reservoir. You also have to make sure you don't run out of fluid at the reservoir or you'll draw air into your system and that's no fun either because now you have to get all that air through the system and out. make sure you have lots of brake cleaner handy for cleaning up spills (always good for a severe throbbing headache). Knee pads are recommended. :)

Oh yeah, get a wrench for bleeder screws, it has 6 sides and just a little slot to get the wrench around the brake line. Helps to keep from rounding off the bleeder screw when opening it for the first time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts