Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw on the main page the article on the brake dust problem that all mercedes I see have. The link did not work, and it sparked an interest in me. Why do all mercedes have brake dust problems? And why are most benz owners too lazy to clean it off? I haven't cleaned mine because it's been too cold, but even in summertime I see nice, new, huge mercedes with worse brake dust than mine.<br> I'm not complaining about the brake dust, because I love to clean the car so shining the wheels is no problem at all. But what is with it?

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well, most people who will spent up to $1500 to replace perfectly good oem wheels and springs just to be 'cool' are usually too lazy to clean those wheels. I have the original oem wheels with dust shields that work JUST FINE. I guess once you start spending $$ on unnecessary bull....t, it's hard top stop ;-))

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, most people who will spend up to $1500 to replace perfectly good oem wheels and springs just to be 'cool' are usually too lazy to clean those wheels. I have the original oem wheels with dust shields that work JUST FINE. I guess once you start spending $$ on unnecessary bull....t, it's hard top stop ;-))

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to get some new OEM wheels because mine don't have that shine anymore, they have this flat look and look like they are peeling almost. I have one good wheel left, and that will be for a spare, I figure that's a REAL full-sized spare. :)

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mercedes cars have more of a problem with brake dust because they use extremely soft pads which are very dusty. I keep my car very clean too, but with OEM pads I had to clean the wheels about every other day and it got old pretty fast. Switching to a low-dust pad like metalmasters makes a huge difference.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i hhave a friend who bought cross drilled discs. its braking is good but he has to clean the wheels every day. he did some thinking and got someone to make a round aluminium piece to be fixed an inch in front of the discs. i didnt think that it will work but the result is wonderful. the dust has reduced considerably. i have not tried it yet but all i think is what will happen when one is happyly driving at 100 mph and the aluminium piece gets stuck in between the pads and the disc?

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll have to look into dust shields. What do they cost?<br> <br> I also have a question about wheels... If I get a completely different wheel, is it possible for me to get tires that have the same outside diameter as my current tires? And I am guessing when they quote a price for let's say 175 bucks that for one right? Sorry I am not familiar with tire sizes, when I get tire changes I let them know what car I have, they give me my options and I decide which model.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nate,it depends what size wheel you'll get. the original equipment on 190 is 185/65/15. Tirerack gave me an upgrade to 195/60/15 which is slightly wider and lower. the width of the wheel determines the maximum width of the tire. I'd suggest asking the guy you are buying the wheel from. Also, there is a limit to how wide and tall the wheel you can use

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it's my understanding that if you change the total outside diameter you will alter how the speedometer works and that you need it recalibrated if you do that. That is why I want to go with the same diameter on the outside even if I change wheels. I don't know what all it intails to recalibrate a speedometer. I'm not in any rush for new tires or wheels... but just kickin the idea around.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: tyres

If you guys want a very low dust brake pads. Try using 'Mintex' from bekkers - Considerably very inexpensive. As for wheels( if my memory serves right) , 190e's in 84 to mid 85 are 14' and the rest are using 15' wheels . If you wanted to be sure how much factor will be in your speedometer try using this link that will give you a precise estimation of speedometer reading ....<br> <br> http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html<br> <br> i hope this will clear some issues...<br> <br> keep rid'n.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.