Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone any experience, good or bad, in using 'Kleen Wheels' brake shields - particularly on a C36/43 with AMG rims - or any other car?
Recommended or not?

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
not recommended

my mechanic says brake shields drastically reduce the ventilation to the brake discs, which may, depending on your environment, cause disc warpage.

brake dust equates to good braking performance.

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My instinct agrees with this - apart from which, the clearance between the rim plate and c...

My instinct agrees with this - apart from which, the clearance between the rim plate and caliper on C36 brakes is very small, so my question was also aimed at the physical running.
OK, lets tackle this another way - what suggestions to eliminate the horrible black dust? - any thoughts on these 'dust free' pads. Porterfield is a name that springs to mind...?

·
Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,945 Posts
Have you tried EBC Greenstuff? I don't think that you would need the Rrdstuff pads, but m...

Have you tried EBC Greenstuff? I don't think that you would need the Rrdstuff pads, but maybe.

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have not tried anything Dan, it seems we over here just accept it, or just like washing ca...

Have not tried anything Dan, it seems we over here just accept it, or just like washing cars - tell me more about EBC?
The thing here that worries me is compromising the MB brake performance. I know their disks are soft metal to give a better bite, so do you think aftermarket pads will be detrimental, even though less dusty?

Meant to comment back on the last story - that just shows the difference in our cultures (or car prices) - we would use the Golf for the day job and the ML for best...! Hal.

·
Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,945 Posts
I would like to switch from using the ML as the everyday car, but until the Smart or A-Cla...

I would like to switch from using the ML as the everyday car, but until the Smart or A-Class comes to Canada, I won't be letting my wife drive the Golf.

There are too many boy-racers that pop up whenever the Golf comes out. My wife goes home everyday at lunch and she drives the car the most, so I would rather her drive the safer car.

As for EBC, I have only ever used them on my dirt bike, but would like to put them in my Golf. they are a UK made product though.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I am a bit embarassed here! I checked out EBC and the factory is not far from me!!
I...

Yes, I am a bit embarassed here! I checked out EBC and the factory is not far from me!!
I think I am losing touch or getting old - I have never seen them pushed as an option.
They seem to be a choice for bikes sure enough - but welcome any comments still if anyone has used them on a c36/43...???

Now, there is a surprise - you dont have the A Class or Smart yet? A Class is ok for a small car, but steering over 60mph is decidely uncomfortable after coming out of a C...

Now, the Smart - there is a piece of fun, it really is. No one races or pushes you regardless of how wide you have the wheels sticking out or outrageous paint job... Could you not import one specially, or are you up against those tests you sent me?
Your text here

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
less brake dust secret revealed

here's a tip i heard. i haven't tried it so i can't confirm.

clean your painted alloys throughly and then spray them with a non-stick cooking spray such as "pam" the brake dust won't stick to it thus less visible dust.

i haven't tried it because my wheels have a chrome plated rim. if you try it let us know the results.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,945 Posts
We are supposed to get both the A-Class and Smart in 2004, possibly as 2005 models.

I w...

We are supposed to get both the A-Class and Smart in 2004, possibly as 2005 models.

I would definately have to drive them both, but it is currently just myself, my wife, and the animals. No kids yet.

We would probably get the Smart. It would be nice with the full Brabus package. As long as it gets better fuel economy and I only have to fuel up once a month instead of once a week!

Damn I wish diesils were here[:(]

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a serious lump of alloy there! How do you keep the dust off them???
I thought of ...

That is a serious lump of alloy there! How do you keep the dust off them???
I thought of a teflon coat of some sort, but not keen on the idea. I have looked at these EBC pads and will try them. A few comments posted around they warp the disks, but I cannot believe pads are the sole reason for these..
I'll post a report later on.

-------------

Dan, this link might bring a smile to your face:

http://www.osgerby.com/smart/page_01.htm

·
Registered
98 mecedes c43
69 Posts
i dont recomend ebc pads on a mercedes i have the redstuff on my c43 and they make a lot o...

i dont recomend ebc pads on a mercedes i have the redstuff on my c43 and they make a lot of whisteling sounds i was told and also have experienced on my other mercedes to only get original pads because all others make funny noises if that doesnt bother you then get them but its embaresing to drive a $60000 car and your brakes whistle at stop signs when people look at you.

·
Registered
1996 C36
14 Posts
Has anyone any experience, good or bad, in using 'Kleen Wheels' brake shields - particularly on a C36/43 with AMG rims - or any other car?
Recommended or not?
Got 'em on my C36. They keep the black stuff off !!! They clear just fine and are not bad @ $35.00us. Fitment is perfect & they don't look bad either!

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Re: Brake dust nightmare

[/quote]

Got 'em on my C36. They keep the black stuff off !!! They clear just fine and are not bad @ $35.00us. Fitment is perfect & they don't look bad either!
[/quote]

Thanks - as no one came back, I have since tried these 'green stuff' kevlar pads with amazing results - I shall give them another couple of months and post a report.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts