Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 E320-current, 94 E420, 65 220sb
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to spin one front wheel and one back wheel 180 degrees to their existing position so as to offset rotors wear pattern (thickness). Since the wheels are synchronized when rotating over a long period they may develop a slight variation in thickness. Am I nuts, or is my thinking valid?

·
Registered
1988 "Zender" 300CE Coupe, 2009 Renault Koleos, 2007 Kia Rio Sport
3,189 Posts
:confused:

The rotors turn with the wheel right ?

You put the brakes on and it attempts to grip the rotating rotor with the pad !
That to me means the wear is spread across the surface of the rotor for the number of revolutions it turns each time the brake pad contacts the rotor surface.
Therefore the wear should be evenly distributed dependant on the amount of braking, the speed at time of braking and af few other variables.

The way I understand it then, rotating the rotors really wouldn't achieve anything as it is not one point alone that the brake pads make contact with.
Otherwise rotors would have a ruddy great hole in them in one spot only.

Anyone ??

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Rotors wear evenly because the pads contact them under pressure...evenly. Fronts wear faster than rears because they do more work.

Moreover, as you go around a turn, each of the wheels rotates at a different speed because of the different radii.

So you'll have to find something else to focus on. ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
'04 W211 E240, MY10 W204 C300
825 Posts
Rotors aren't that expensive.
My mothers Toyota's rotors and pads are more expensive than my W124.

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,921 Posts
...... Since the wheels are synchronized when rotating over a long period they may develop a slight variation in thickness. Am I nuts, or is my thinking valid?
The disk's thickness variation is due to uneven caliper piston pressure or faulty caliper mechanism. If you rotate the disk to even-out the wear you are curing the symptoms and not the decease. If you have uneven disk wear check the brake system and not the disk.

·
Registered
682 Posts
f you swap front left for front right, it will make no difference to the wear, unles one of the pistons is sticking, also some disks are actually handed, so shouldnt be installed on the opposite side, also the front and rear disks on the 124 are completly different, so impossible to switch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts