Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hej!
bougth front discs to my -95 C36 and the discs doesnt fit it lokks exactly the same as the old ones but is buildig to much for the inside so the brakes is on all the time..my mecanic says that there is only one type of discs for C36 from -93 to 05.97 on my old discs it says 06.97 can my car have other uppgraded brakes or wath..on the brakes its stamped AMG so my guess is that it could had been changed against C43 brakes or that my new discs are mailfunktioned.

my questin!
are thee same brakes in c36 as c43 or wath is different?

ive heard that the front brakes is from MB SL and rear from E500 is that right?

thanks T

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
C36, pre 1966. Front discs 320mm dia/30. Rear discs 287/24

C36 post 1996. Front 316/2...

C36 post 1996. Front 316/28. Rear 290/10.

C43 brakes will not fit - the stub axle is different.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks J62105!!
ok! but are you shore of that! if i understand you right my -95 should ha...

Thanks J62105!!
ok! but are you shore of that! if i understand you right my -95 should have the 320mm front discs the discs i recived from Bosch where 316mm but according to them that was the only disc for the C36!

/ T

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
front disc jungle C36!

hey again!
now after a number of phonecalls maybe J62105 has solve my problem!

my new disc are 316/28 my old 320/30 just as J sad when i checked that with my benz dealer he was confused he sad that it should be AMG special discs diffrent on each side..he could not give me the diameter on those discs but they were a hell lot more expensive than the one i found for S600 with the diameter 320/30..

so for the moment the car is still in the garage but tomorrow i recive the new discs for s600 aware of that they may not fit but the Bosch dealer was as curios as me so i will giv it a try if it works ive saved 250$ othervise i just send them back

im sure that i heard on this forum that the front brakes on c36 were from s600 and rear from e500!

anyway we will see tomorrow!!

ps: thank god my brakes are bigger hehe...

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
Perhaps if you bought bigger rims, the bigger brakes could fit.

A lot of M3 buyers are...

Perhaps if you bought bigger rims, the bigger brakes could fit.

A lot of M3 buyers are buying Brembo 14'' brakes, but they have 18'' rims.

I don't know if our brakes are different!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1996 C36
14 Posts
I heard that fronts were from the SL600, not the S600(any difference??) and yes the rear...

I heard that fronts were from the SL600, not the S600(any difference??) and yes the rears are from E-class. As a side note the tranny is also from the E-class! C280 trannies could not hold the torque of the C36 motor. I'm sure you know that late model C32 calipers bolt right up!!!!!! They look awesome. Pads are easier to guess.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: I heard that fronts were from the SL600, not the S600(any difference??) and yes the rear

I heard that fronts were from the SL600, not the S600(any difference??) and yes the rears are from E-class. As a side note the tranny is also from the E-class! C280 trannies could not hold the torque of the C36 motor. I'm sure you know that late model C32 calipers bolt right up!!!!!! They look awesome. Pads are easier to guess.

The fronts are from the SL-class (not necessarily SL600, some SL500 rotors are the same). The calipers are still modified to work on the C-class, as the SL-class has trailing calipers and the C-class has leading calipers (the C32 also has trailing calipers, and although the calipers physically bolt on, the application is not completely correct). The rear brakes were lifted from the E-class, not necessarily the E500 as speculated earlier. Yes, some Mercedes marketing material may have made the statements, but it was a stretch.

Also, the C280 transmission apparently is strong enough, several twin-turbo C280 cars have been known to live long lives with the stock transmissions.

-s-

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you are right scorchie. when the first set didnt fit i orderd discs for s600 yesterday a...

you are right scorchie. when the first set didnt fit i orderd discs for s600 yesterday and they were right in diameter but they didnt fit either, the first set (in middle of picture) were to deep making the calippers on inside lean against the disc the hole time the set for s600 was alot deeper so i dint bother even try them(in right of the picture)...so now i will send them all back and drive with my old discs and new callipers untill i come up with something else cause my dealer has no idea!!

see ya

Attachments

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Why are you intent on ordering bits and pieces from other models??
You are making too muc...

Why are you intent on ordering bits and pieces from other models??
You are making too much work for yourself!

Forget SLs, Es and everything else - you have a C36!

Give the dealer you chassis number, and tell them to get the correct parts for that car. If they do not then complain to MB in Sindelfinden who will send the correct parts (and maybe for free if you complain loud enough)

·
Registered
E36 AMG & C36 AMG
135 Posts

C36 post 1996. Front 316/28. Rear 290/10.

C43 brakes will not fit - the stub axle is different.
hi dont know what book you got this info from? im having real trouble trying to get the correct size discs for my 1995 c36 amg.

if the above is correct, then amg made loads of different size brakes for the c36 amg.

my front discs are 334mm and the rears are 276mm. IMPORTANT! this is what i measured not whats listed anywhere as the biggest disc i can find listed for a c36 is 316mm for the front!

my callipers also have amg embossed on them.

i know this thread is old but im really desperate to get some discs for this car and any help would be grateful!

in the uk. i tried:

mercedes benz
gsf
eurocarparts

none of the above list my discs at 334mm only 316mm highest and euro carparts said this is for the later model not 95 :confused:

i have had people say that may be my car was upgraded after it was built! i would have thought may be? if it didnt have amg embossed on the calliper.

anyone know of a disc matching service? all auto car parts places want either the reg or vin to find out the listing, but this is no good!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts