Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
89' 560SEL, 92' 300CE
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering... is it mandatory to replace both calipers(front), or can you replace just one side? I'm sure its probably recommended to do both, but just wondering if I can do one and still be safe?
Also, where's the best place to get the best quality for the lowest $$ ?? Thanks and aloha!! [8D]

·
Registered
Very Black 86 420sel
108 Posts
Eh, brah!

It depends ...

If you have one side with a leaking piston seal, sure; rebuilding/replacing just one makes sense, especially if you've religiously changed your brake fluid every 24 months. What???? You don't do a brake flush every two years ???

If you have a caliper that just plain gunked up (because maybe you DIDN'T change your fluid every two years) it's a more difficult call - usually the crud collection that's gummed the caliper is throughout the system and is in the lines, as well.

I know it's a pain in the wallet, if not the arse, but think of the sense of accomplishment you'll get knowing that BOTH are rebuilt and reliable.

Aloha.

·
Premium Member
89' 560SEL, 92' 300CE
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm... that's another thing... never rebuilt, but some seem to make it sound easy. I was just thinking of buying new ones since I know that's the originals on there. I would do the rebuild it is pretty easy. I just don't wanna screw nothing up.

·
Registered
Very Black 86 420sel
108 Posts
The kits are $20 and up. Unfortunately, you can count on the kit YOU buy will not have everything you need and a more realistic price is about $40-50 per caliper for all of the parts.

Boxed and rebuilt, you can pick up calipers for $70-90 each ($45 core). Brang-spankin' new will run you $220 to $550 depending on where you get 'em and which model you have (ATE, Bendix).

I'd opt for a good pair of rebuilts - saves you time. Rebuilding calipers is not hard, just somewhat tedious and you have to be oh-so-clean as any dust, or dirt will foul the piston seal.

Oh, and then there's that thing about stripping threads ...[:0]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Personally and professionally I will not install after market rebuilt calipers. The rebuilds that are out there are off shore where the rebuild mainly consists of spitting on the seals and a bit of paint (all rebuilt calipers rust up like a British car in a matter of months..). I would not trust my life to someone being paid 15 cents an hour in some offshore factory.

Rebuilding them yourself makes sense if you are familiar w/ the job and have the necessary tools to clean/disassemble everything, otherwise purchase new ones and the next time you go to haul your car down from a buck 20 you won't wonder what's going to happen when you step on the brake.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
40 Posts
I'm going to attempt a caliper rebuild. Never done it before. After a front brake pad change this week my piston seal started leaking (old and brittle).

I'm looking for advice on rebuilding calipers. I'm thinking this:

-remove calipers
-clean them up with brake cleaner, as they are fouled with brake fluid.
-install new seals, brake sensors, brake pads

Anyone done this before? Advice?

--Dan in Portland, OR

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Do you have compressed air? You'll need it to get the pistons out..Be sure to wrap the caliper in a towel when you pop the pistons as brake fluid will cause major damage to your eye as well as strip most paint that it lands on.

Be sure to lube the seals when you put them back in etc...

Other then that it's fairly straight forward, just take your time:)

Jonathan

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
I figured i would chime in, i found an old set of sec calipers in the partsroom, but found out why one had been replaced, one of the bleeders had been brokenoff inside and somone had been unsucessful in drilling it out????? will most places take this as a core??? , it would save me the effort of taking off the other set.????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts