Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
w108 & w107
210 Posts
Hard to imagine how they can charge that much. The repair kits are what? Maybe $20? The shop in Toronto did a pair of ATEs for me for $60. each. Done in about 2 hours and looked like new. Don't know where you live, but have you checked for local rebuilders? Only thing to know, is that these calipers have a smaller 57mm piston vs 60mm on later cars May be hard to find the repair kits. Best to get ate caliper model number and ask ATE directly for the proper kit number.
Yes - I take my stuff to whoever I need to re-build parts (just had the rear axles done), and I don't tell them what it's for. It's like they put a 'euro classic tax' on their quoted prices (over the phone the guy wanted AUD$250 each per axle, then I just took them in, and told them they were off my brothers car, not sure what car it was, and he did them both for AUD$170...)

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,592 Posts
Maybe a silly question after all this but are you sure the problem is a dragging caliper?
You and I and other 72 SL owners may need to address this sooner or later. Our cars have different calipers from even slightly later models. They may be same as the W113 SLs or maybe some sedans of same vintage. They are the ones with the 22 on them. 57mm pistons and no wear sensors, so smaller pads.

·
Registered
1979 280sl-eu
61 Posts
I have a 1972 350/450 sl VIN number 107.044 12-002459. My front right caliper is dragging. I obviously need to either rebuild it or replace it. it is a ATE brand. Rebuilding it myself looks to be a procedure that could be frustrating if not done correctly the first time ( Least expensive option). However I am willing to try if need be. If purchasing new or rebuilt I see I have several options as far as parts houses. Pelican (381.00), MBZ parts (292.00) , Bud's (350.00 to rebuild my caliper) or even Mercedes classic center ( $ unknown). Which route should I take? Which parts house should I choose? What other parts houses should I consider? Of course I will be replacing brake hoses, pads and pins as well. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Rebuilding is easy if the piston is not damaged.. oreillys has them 2 types with lifetime warranty.. I could rebuild my fronts the rears were bad pistons.. Hint open them up first see if not damaged piston.Me i cleaned my rear first a waste of time.. Its really cheap..front have to align heat shield.. I replaced everything, master hoses rebuilt front replaced rears.. Now stop with big toe... yes.... big toe...Get a motive power bleeder or just replace the master.. Great project.. master will be worn out cheap at oriillys cheaper then rebuild kit.. But to stop with big toe barefooted priceless.. california living I only wear sandals.. The boots go bad allowing grit to destroy the piston... The only part kept were the wearout sensors .... Master cylinder replaced the rubbers to the fluid chambers.. Most time consuming was cleaning the calipers after 30 plus years..

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,592 Posts
oreillys has them 2 types with lifetime warranty..
Are you sure about that? By them, do you mean the calipers, pistons or repair kits?

The calipers on these cars were changed several times. Not all vendors seem aware of this. This one needs calipers for a VIN under 3622. The pistons are 57mm, later cars 60mm and ones with 4 pistons from 85 on, 40mm.

A lot of generalities in this thread and info that is not specific to the OP's car. OP seems mostly interested in cost, but availability of kits, or reman calipers, is to me, a bigger question (I have same car)

41 - 44 of 44 Posts