Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
11,762 Posts
OK, we drifted a bit away...
For the 560 the ATE-Kit comes only with the seals, no pistons. BUT the pistons are really great from the Frenkit-Set. The seals in that kit are scrap, but the pistons and breathers are great. 27€/set !!
Frenkit 240958
I used ATE seals and pistons/breathers from Frenkit

Cheers Martin
View attachment 2684327
I believe the rule for drifting off topic is 10 posts. :)

Good to know. Last I tried (20 years ago), getting pistons here in the sates was next to impossible.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,592 Posts
This is the correct caliper for the early 350SL - up to chassis #3621 Which includes jdcovings car and mine. Not easy to find, especially from NA parts shops:

My advice, is to get existing calipers rebuilt. ATE don't appear to make these any more. Rebuild kits are likely available

·
Premium Member
11,592 Posts
To add to confusion, SLShop says for the above caliper: "Fits Mercedes-Benz models 350 Sl and SLC as well as the American 450 SL From the years 1970 to 1980" If you read below, I doubt that is true because bolt spacing changed in 1973.

The caliper with part number 0014212998 doesn't say if left or right (even in EPC). Likely Left because EPC says replaced by 0024215698 for left side. (but that part # is for chassis 3622-9229!) There is another number 0014213098 which is likely for the Right side (replaced by 0024215798) again for chassis 3622-9229.

Confused yet? Seems like something changed at about chassis 3622, but not clear just what. Best to rebuild existing or make sure reman is ATE (TEVES) model 22..

Roncallo asked if calipers from later models would fit. Doesn't look like it. From chassis 9730-62580, the bolt spacing is different. Mercedes-Benz 107 SL/C 2 Piston Brake Caliper Refurbishment (Front Left) - 1074200283 | SLSHOP

·
Registered
'71 350SL, '76 450SLC (Euro both)
333 Posts
Since PMB Performance haven't been brought into the discussion, I'll plug for them:

Call us toll free! (pmbperformance.com)

I've had them re-do a couple of sets of calipers for a Porsche and the rear calipers on my SL. They're mostly a Porsche based company, but ATE calipers are ATE calipers. They say they don't rebuild calipers, they "restore" them. I agree with that statement. I've done a couple of sets myself but I now send them to Eric at PMB. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I posted a thread seven years ago (!) on this. Before and after pictures.

·
Registered
1976 300D, 1972 350SL
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Since PMB Performance haven't been brought into the discussion, I'll plug for them:

I've had them re-do a couple of sets of calipers for a Porsche and the rear calipers on my SL. They're mostly a Porsche based company, but ATE calipers are ATE calipers. They say they don't rebuild calipers, they "restore" them. I agree with that statement. I've done a couple of sets myself but I now send them to Eric at PMB. Highly recommend.
Do you remember the approximate cost?

·
Premium Member
11,592 Posts

Quite expensive according to their website and long turn around times. But obviously top quality.

When I had my w123's calipers rebuilt, part of "problem" was cost of shipping then to rebuilder and back. However it was just a 2 hr drive to a rebuilder near us. They did them for me while I had lunch and did some shopping! Cost of shipping these heavy items is one advantage (for those on a budget) of using local rebuilder or having NAPA or other chain store send them to a rebuilder like Cardon.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I want to say those are the rear calipers on the 350SL. I'm out of the country right now or else I'd go and check.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
117 Posts
[="jdcoving, post: 18184942, member: 802689"]
I have a 1972 350/450 sl VIN number 107.044 12-002459. My front right caliper is dragging. I obviously need to either rebuild it or replace it. it is a ATE brand. Rebuilding it myself looks to be a procedure that could be frustrating if not done correctly the first time I am willing to try if need be. If purchasing new

Autozone

·
Registered
1991 300SE
22 Posts
I have a 1972 350/450 sl VIN number 107.044 12-002459. My front right caliper is dragging. I obviously need to either rebuild it or replace it. it is a ATE brand. Rebuilding it myself looks to be a procedure that could be frustrating if not done correctly the first time ( Least expensive option). However I am willing to try if need be. If purchasing new or rebuilt I see I have several options as far as parts houses. Pelican (381.00), MBZ parts (292.00) , Bud's (350.00 to rebuild my caliper) or even Mercedes classic center ( $ unknown). Which route should I take? Which parts house should I choose? What other parts houses should I consider? Of course I will be replacing brake hoses, pads and pins as well. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1991 300SE
22 Posts
I have a 1972 350/450 sl VIN number 107.044 12-002459. My front right caliper is dragging. I obviously need to either rebuild it or replace it. it is a ATE brand. Rebuilding it myself looks to be a procedure that could be frustrating if not done correctly the first time ( Least expensive option). However I am willing to try if need be. If purchasing new or rebuilt I see I have several options as far as parts houses. Pelican (381.00), MBZ parts (292.00) , Bud's (350.00 to rebuild my caliper) or even Mercedes classic center ( $ unknown). Which route should I take? Which parts house should I choose? What other parts houses should I consider? Of course I will be replacing brake hoses, pads and pins as well. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
If you're unsure of your mechanical capabilities, you may want to send all your calipers out to a rebuilding service. That is, if you won't need to drive the car for about three weeks. Does Bud's Benz want $350.00 for how many calipers? I just got a set back from a rebuilder I've used for quite a while, that were replated in Type 2 Yellow-Chromated Zinc, that look like new. If your car is clean, that would be the way to go. Be sure to replace all brake hoses, after thoroughly flushing the system with fresh brake fluid. A new master cylinder and reservoir wouldn't be a bad investment, as they're readily available aftermarket at a decent price.

·
Registered
1976 300D, 1972 350SL
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
From Bud's Benz it was $350.00 per caliper. Who is your rebuilder and what did your caliper cost? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks
Rebuild it yourself, easy to do, need to purchase couple tools and ATE caliper rebuild kit is the one. If you want I can help you by FB Messenger. Also I recommend to rebuild both front calipers and best is do it all because they are old, after repairing the single caliper next day other ones will follow. Replace the Brake fluid every year. Good luck.

·
Registered
'72 450SL, 107.044-12-000422
365 Posts
Maybe a silly question after all this but are you sure the problem is a dragging caliper?

Worn tie rod ends will cause a pull to the right while braking (due to precession). What are your symptoms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks
Thanks
Thanks
I have a 1981 240D. Had a leaking left front caliper.
Thanks
I have a 1981 240D. Had a leaky front caliper. Decided to replace instead of rebuild. Ordered from P***sG**k. So many $$$ plus shipping plus core charge and the hassle of repacking the old caliper and a trip to the PO. All went fine with the installation. In trying to bleed the system discovered a frozen and rusty rear caliper. Had to be replaced. Decided then to replace all three remaining calipers with new plus pads and brake lines for all four calipers. Checked the usual online sources and then with eBay. WOW. Cheaper prices, free shipping and no core charge.

·
Registered
w108 & w107
210 Posts
Maybe a silly question after all this but are you sure the problem is a dragging caliper?

Worn tie rod ends will cause a pull to the right while braking (due to precession). What are your symptoms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I discovered my w108 had a blocked brake hose after it was dragging. It looked fine from the outside, and once the hose was disconnected from the caliper, the caliper piston moved easily, so a new hose and fluid flush and off we went. Sometimes it's not all as it seems. Proper diagnosis can save $$$/£££/€€€ on parts you don't actually need.

·
Premium Member
11,592 Posts
From Bud's Benz it was $350.00 per caliper. Who is your rebuilder and what did your caliper cost? Thanks for the reply.
Hard to imagine how they can charge that much. The repair kits are what? Maybe $20? The shop in Toronto did a pair of ATEs for me for $60. each. Done in about 2 hours and looked like new. Don't know where you live, but have you checked for local rebuilders? One thing to know, is that these calipers have a smaller 57mm piston vs 60mm on slightly later cars May be hard to find the repair kits in NA. Best to get ATE caliper model number and ask ATE directly for the proper kit number. You could actually buy calipers from SLShop for less than Buds Benz, but the shipping of units and the core may be a killer. Actually shipping can be a killer here too!.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts