Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 E320 wagon had a minor brake squealing and I decided to take the front pads off to see if they were seated properly. I fixed the squeal but both front side caliper dust boots were torn. I'm not sure how it happened... the car only has 38K miles on it and the 4-year warranty just expired last month.

I'm taking it to the dealer this week to see if they'll still cover it under warranty since the condition definitely existed prior to expiration, but just in case I'm not successful, does anyone know if the rubber boot can be easily replaced without taking the piston out? Or is my only option getting a new set of calipers?

Appreciate your response,
Nick

·
Registered
2003 E320 - wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my car!!
637 Posts
My 2005 E320 wagon had a minor brake squealing and I decided to take the front pads off to see if they were seated properly. I fixed the squeal but both front side caliper dust boots were torn. I'm not sure how it happened... the car only has 38K miles on it and the 4-year warranty just expired last month.

I'm taking it to the dealer this week to see if they'll still cover it under warranty since the condition definitely existed prior to expiration, but just in case I'm not successful, does anyone know if the rubber boot can be easily replaced without taking the piston out? Or is my only option getting a new set of calipers?

Appreciate your response,
Nick
Nick,

Looking at the Russian EPC site, it didn't seem that the caliper can be acquired by individual parts. I've changed dust boots on non-MB cars in the past and the boot pops off similar to an oil seal for a wheel bearing. If the dealer refuses to do the job under warranty, you may want to check (i.e. eBay) to see if anyone is selling aftermarket rebuild kits. Good luck as rebuilding a caliper to any degree is a lost art.

Regards,

paul...

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,104 Posts
There is, of course, the theory that if the boot has been torn it's assumed dirt has entered and caused damage.

Same reasoning behind fact the only place you can get CV joint seals is Pep Boys.

Hard to imagine a professional that would only replace a seal in an instance like this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. I'm hoping the dealer will step up and replace whatever is necessary under warranty since I did have the brakes checked just before it expired. I know they only visually checked the pads but I'm going to claim it should of been discovered.

If I have to fork out my own dough for this repair, I'm really hoping it isn't going to cost an arm and a leg. I did try to search for part numbers but none of the online shops had them listed (including the whole caliper).

·
Registered
2003 E320 - wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my car!!
637 Posts
There is, of course, the theory that if the boot has been torn it's assumed dirt has entered and caused damage.

Same reasoning behind fact the only place you can get CV joint seals is Pep Boys.

Hard to imagine a professional that would only replace a seal in an instance like this.
My motivation for telling Nick to look for a rebuild kit was that they used to come with a new boot, seal, and piston and he would accomplish a good rebuild (assuming he honed out the piston cylinder) -- but it was a long time ago when I used to do that and don't know if kits are still available. If I was faced with his problem, I would replace the calipers and flush/bleed out the system. It's always difficult to understand what level of "wrenching" people have on these forums.

Regards,
paul...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, just got a call back from the dealer and they can't warranty it because I replaced the pads myself. Since it's a MY2005, MB won't warranty brakes that weren't serviced by the dealer. Their reason is that there is no way for them to tell whether SBC was activated while someone other than MB was working on the car and that's the primary reason for the tear.

The total cost? $800 for two calipers and labor. Ouch. I thought about tackling this myself since I have replaced calipers before, but I decided to bite the bullet and just pay for it.

I'm still curious as to why the tear happened in the first place.... oh well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts