Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2006 c 230
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I did my rotors and breaks and accidently opened a caliper, I'm a noob...I didn't realize the extent of this until I test drove it and my brake pedel goes all the way to the floor.

I'm sure the worse case is that I have to get a new caliper. Any idea how much a MB caliper costs and a generic one? I've seen like $100 for it.

Thanks.

· Registered
2001 C240, 1984 300D
962 Posts
You should be able to get a reman caliper less than $100, and a new ATE caliper for maybe $150. It would be more at the dealer.

Make sure you read up on how to bleed them properly or get help from someone who knows how. You're brakes wont work if there's air in the system.

· Registered
2006 c 230
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The break fluid looks tough. Since I might need a new caliper, I might have an expert take a look at it first to see if one is needed.

$150 for a new one doesn't seem too bad at all!

Thanks.

· Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sedan; 1975 Triumph TR6
81 Posts
Never separate a dual or quad piston caliper, these are sealed for life and you end up with leaking problems. My TR6 has fixed two piston calipers and all the manuals say never to open them up. There really is never a reason to separate them

· Registered
2006 C230 A/T
62 Posts
Hey guys,

So I did my rotors and breaks and accidently opened a caliper, I'm a noob...I didn't realize the extent of this until I test drove it and my brake pedel goes all the way to the floor.

I'm sure the worse case is that I have to get a new caliper. Any idea how much a MB caliper costs and a generic one? I've seen like $100 for it.

Thanks.
I made the same mistake a long time ago at about 50K miles when I did the brake job for the first time on my C230. Leaked a bunch of fluid. Took it to a ind mechanic and he bled the brake line for a few bucks. Now my C230 has 120K and the brake has been working perfectly since. Never needed a new caliper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.