Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Mercedes Benz 240d
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car was making a loud popping noise everytime i pressed the brakes. I decided to take the tire off on that side and i noticed that my brake caliper was very loose to the point where it moves up and down and there is a bolt missing. The bolt that im talking about are 1 of the bigger 2 bolts twords the bottom of the caliper. I call my local auto stores and they have no idea what im talking about. I call my local Mercedes Benz dealer and he sends me this diagram showing me the brake assembly but i don't understand it or what number the bolt is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
I can't see anything in detail on the image you posted but I will say one thing you've got a nice friendly dealer there - from what I've heard not many of them will send you EPC images.

When you say under the caliper do you mean the steering arm bolts - or - is it a bolt holding th caliper in place?

If you can post up a picture of which one you mean I guess one of us here can tell you pretty quickly the name and number of the part that you need.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
1234210171 Brake Caliper Bolt, Front Caliper to Steering Knuckle
The below is from an online Dealer that sells offical Mercedes parts.
Part Number 1234210171
Part Name SCREW
MSRP $3.40
Core $0.00
Online Price $2.55

Since you are going to end up at the Dealer Ship I would replace both Bolts.
The Bolts have a self locking goop on them. Over time it gets hard and removing the Bolts messes with it.
You can re-use Blue Loctite on the Old Bolts and torque them to the proper Torque.

The Factory Service Manual wants you to replace the Bolts after each removal. I never do that on mine but use your best judgement.

Besure to inspect the Holes to see if there is not some other issue like stripped threads, cracked or the hole is elongated.

·
Registered
1983 Mercedes Benz 240d
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its one of the 2 bolts that holds the caliper in place. im going to try to take pics here in a sec

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
I'm glad I asked for pictures too. Don't drive that car untill you get it fixed.

CHECK THE OTHER SIDE TOO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts