Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1988 560SL
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced my rotors all around and when putting them back together either myself or my brother forgot to connect the brake lines to the rear calipers on both sides. Major mistake that we made, but the car drove and brakes ok. I knew something wasn't right and then spotted brake fluid.
So now I've fixed the problem, but I can seem to get brake fluid to bleed correctly to the rears. I've tried a vacuum pump to suck it through and we've been bleeding the crap out of it.
Is there something else I should be doing?

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,488 Posts
Make sure the rear chamber of the reservoir is kept full. This can be hard to see on older cloudy reservoirs. You need to fill the front to the point of almost overflowing to fill the rear.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,540 Posts
AND THEN......use a pressure bleeder to PUSH the brake fluid through...rather than trying to suck it through.

·
Registered
1973 450 sl
85 Posts
AND THEN......use a pressure bleeder to PUSH the brake fluid through...rather than trying to suck it through.
I did mine with vacuum but ran into the problem of loosing vacuum between the threads of the bleeder and the caliper. Much better with pressure at the master.
But i tried gasket shellac on the bleeder and the caliper when it was closed.. The shellac was thick enough to seal the threads to remove the air in the lines but not enough to enter the system. I used low vacuum so I don't suck in the shellac too far. I change the fluid once a year so I will see if I did more harm than good next year. Keep the master filled high.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1988 you have abs, turn the ignition key to accessory / start to active abs, fill reservoir to the top treads and then bleed back brakes. This worked me .

·
Registered
w108 & w107
153 Posts
I recently had issues bleeding my W108. On the w108, I could bleed one side, but not the other, so I worked my way back from the caliper undoing the line that meets the caliper to see if the problem was the caliper (this was it for me, but you may need to work your way further back) and I had to start it up and pump the brake pedal (was hard at first to push out whatever was in there) like I used to when I was a kid. Two man (person) job though. My issue was I think by backing out the caliper pistons to fit the new pads, some crud worked its way into the brake line...Then of course had to bleed a bit longer to make sure the air was out from where I disconnected the brake line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts