Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
SLK230 2001
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 SLK230.

I was told my inner front pads are "metal on metal" they actually do sound pretty bad.
The stopping ability if the car isnt affected so much, the car brakes ok.

i decided to order the pads and rotors and do it myself but the parts will arrive next monday.

the mechanic said i can blow the calipers which will cost $1300 to replace just in parts.

my two questions:
1. how "terrible" is it to drive with "metal on metal" worn out brake pads for a few days? i will drive about 500 miles in the following 4 days.

2. can callipers actually blow due to worn out pads? what kind of problems happen with such worn out pads?

thank you.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I have a 2001 SLK230.

I was told my inner front pads are "metal on metal" they actually do sound pretty bad.
The stopping ability if the car isnt affected so much, the car brakes ok.

i decided to order the pads and rotors and do it myself but the parts will arrive next monday.

the mechanic said i can blow the calipers which will cost $1300 to replace just in parts.

my two questions:
1. how "terrible" is it to drive with "metal on metal" worn out brake pads for a few days? i will drive about 500 miles in the following 4 days.

2. can callipers actually blow due to worn out pads? what kind of problems happen with such worn out pads?

thank you.
Welcome. Please click user cp and add your vehicle and location to your profile, it's useful information.

The answer to your questions is "it depends."

Depending on how long you have been ignoring the noise, you could be close to damaging the calipers, which would lead to a complete loss of brakes on that axle as the fluid escapes.

If it hasn't been that long and your 500 miles is open freeway so that you don't use the brakes much, you're probably okay.

But why take the chance? Rent a car for the weekend, you're still money ahead.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts