Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560 SEC, '03 Ducati ST4s abs, '68 ZZ430 Camaro
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about replacing my W126 with something a little more modern, a S500 coupe maybe. There are 4 or five of them on the local CL with asking prices of just over 6 to almost 13 grand. I've been trying to do my homework on the 140. The cognoscenti are telling me the materials - leather, etc are better with the 95 and earlier cars, but the biodegradable wiring and other reliability refinements speak to the 96 or later models. I have a relative who used to own a 600 coupe, and listening to him lament a $7000 tranny replacement is not something I'd like to repeat. So, what mileage is too much? Obviously a one-owner fastidiously maintained all records car would be preferable, but other than that, are there any options one would NOT want for reliability reasons, or service histories I have to be certain was performed, lest I'm asking for trouble? I realize these cars are very sophisticated and a lot can go wrong (at least compared to my 560 SEC). Thanks in advance for your advise. Also, has anyone owned both a 126 and a 140 who can speak to the differences?

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,564 Posts
Hi
Dont think go and buy the best one you can afford after your Pro Merc W140 inspection ,have it checked,i board mine by just visually inspecting the Car,all over ,I Dident test drive it or anything " Engine , look't new ,Interior Seats, Very well look't after , no Damage what so ever ,all Electrics Work't incl.. Air con ..." Paint work, No Scratches or anything visual,no Accidents, No Oil Leaks ,it was a one off ,offer ,i just Paid for it in Cash ,Goodbye,the Dealer ( wich was a Ferrari Dealer ) and me a good Friends now ,i still go back there just to see whats he got and to say Hello.
The Difference is huge coming out of the W126 ,More Power ,Luxury,No Noise,No Rattles,everything is Electric (almost) the List goes on & on ,it may take a bit more Petrol but i dont care for that,No Fumes,it just will take a while to get used to ,thats all,its the shape/size of the Car but once u r used to it you will never change ,you need to b carefull if you go onto the Freeway or Highway/Autobahn ( lol ) as the W140 is so quiet inside that when you are, say Travelling at 100km/h it may well b that you doing 170km/h if you r not looking @ the Speedo,( it happen'd 2 me when i 1st got it) ,going 60km/h feels like that u r better off walking.Listen to the other Members here to ,some may scare you ,If you can Buy the more expensive one ,you get that extra Money back later on in saved Spareparts & mechanics ,also check the Bose Radio and that there is the CD PLAYER in the Boot ,left Side, they r expensive to buy ,if u find one ,that was the only thing missing in mine even tou it was advertised with Cd Player .
Ciao & chose wisely .

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
It boils down to whether you want a troubled transmisssion (96+) or a troubled ASR system (-95). In the very unlikely event that you come across an early car with an original wiring harness it's a $500 once in a lifetime fix - just not a big deal in the bigger picture.

·
Registered
1988 560 SEC, '03 Ducati ST4s abs, '68 ZZ430 Camaro
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, did the 140s get the same transmission as the 129s? Went from the 4 speed (like in my 126) to the 5 speed?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Yes, 140s followed the same routine as the 129s - V8s were 722.3 4 speed, sixes were 722.5 5 speed. Then in 1996 V8s got the 722.6 but sixes didn't get it until 1997. A $7k transmission was likely a 722.6 and a dealer at that. I've had 722.3 rebuilds for $1250.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts