Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 300 GD with a turbo diesel motor installed. The compressor is not installed for the AC. I was told that the compresser needs to be mounted on the opposite side of the motor and there is a bracket that needs to be purchased to do this.

I was told by the seller that there is a guy in Texas who fabricated and/or installed all the AC componants for Auto Europa when they were importing G's in the 80s and early 90s. Does anyone know how to order this bracket, or does anyone know the contact person in Texas that the seller who sold my my G mentioned? He did not have his email or phone number. Thank you once again!!

New G Owner, Michael

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
Michael, welcome to the forum. There has been quite a lot of discussion about this in the past. Try the search function up in the header and limit the search to G class. Type in ac bracket and you will get a large list of posts. Look for Steve Smith's posts. He has a great solution for his truck that was made locally and is in the bay area. A great guy you need to meet. My understanding is that the stock mounting spot for the ac will not work well in the G.

-Dai

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
I'm in the process of rebuilding the A/C on my 1966 111 w/ new hoses, dryer, expansion valve, and a Sanden Compressor (replacing the york). They have a custom bracket to adapt the Sanden to fit the York mounting bracket.

I'm buying everything from www.amcmfg.com which is in Texas but I don't know if it is the place Europa used.

I've been talking to JW, he really knows his stuff. Give him a call and explain what you need. They might have something that will work.

·
Registered
1982 300GD Turbo
132 Posts
Michael,
Here's a pic of the sanden in my truck. Check out Dai's suggestion with the search function in this forum. Lots of helpful info. I'm happy sending more pics if you'd like. It's a modified York mount. The retrofit bracket that mb230s sounds like its worth investigating. Thing is, you'll have to get the sanden above the intake "goose-neck" housing. After that, there is a bunch of left over steel on the york mount that is worth cutting away for better visual access to the thermo housing and hoses. A couple of months ago, one of my water hoses blew and had the york bracket been complete, it would have been a real bitch getting the problem.
Another note: the york bracket uses the second manifold stud (converted to bolt) from the front as an attachment point. For extra stability, I added a piece of steel on the back of the bracket to reach down and attach at the alternator mount.
Good luck,
Steve

·
Registered
1982 300GD Turbo
132 Posts
Pic upload function doesn't seem to be up and running.

Thanks for the kind words Dai.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts