Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just acquired a used set of Brabus Monoblock V wheels fitted with Nitto 555 tires for my CLK320. Once mounted, the rear wheels make a loud rythmic clicking noise during any forward motion. There seems to be no rubbing and I think all the sizes are right. The wheels are 8.5J x 18H2 ET35 and the tires are 225/40 ZR18. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be? One friend suggested it may be the bolt lengths. Thx in advance for any help.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I faced a similar problem when i mounted rims on my W124...what it may be...the lug bolts on the rear are too long and hit the Parking brake inside of the hub...go out and get shorter lug bolts and try that...you should be fine....<br> <br> Mario

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx, Mario. Sounds like the shorter bolts might really be the answer. I might also add 10-15mm spacers to the back to fill out the wheel well a little more. Anyone know who supplies bolts &/or spacers?<br>
<br>
Flyer

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
definitely long lug bolts

I had a similar situation for my wheel locks. My lug bolts are fine.. but when I installed wheel locks, they made the clicking noise. I ended up having a machine shop grind off a few millimeters. No problems since. Don't drive your car until you get it fixed. If you can't find a machine shop, some tire places will do it. You just have to ask for it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem Solved - Using Spacers

You guys are right. I measured the hubs of the stock rims & the Brabus rims & the Brabus are 5mm thinner. Looking through the bolt holes on the car, that's just about the clearance to the parking brake components. I've opted to go with both bolts & 5mm spacers from Brabus. The spacers will give a little extra clearance in the wheel well and I wanted to hold on to my original length bolts in case the old wheels ever go back on. All in all about $120 for all components.<br>
<br>
Thx, Flyer

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What size spacer is the best for 18x8.5 rim at the back so it will align to the side wall?<br> <br> Thanks in advance

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: definitely long lug bolts

Where do I find shorter lug bolts?<br> I have a 99 CLK430 and went with aftermarket wheels and the bolts are too long.<br> Any idea? The guy I got the rims from is helpless.<br>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts