Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brabus or Sl antenna???

I have read other various threads, but none have made me come to a clear and definitive decision. Was hoping to get some more recent insight.

few thoughts.....

Firstly, I don't the the remote sensor for putting the top down and what not. So the only thing I'm partially concerned with here, is the am/fm reception.

Secondly, if I do NOT get either the brabus or Sl antenna, do you think the current 800 foot tall black standard one can be painted????

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
using this name - 4/26/2005 11:03 PM

Firstly, I don't the the remote sensor for putting the top down and what not. So the only thing I'm partially concerned with here, is the am/fm reception.
The optional MB remote roof control operates via an infra-red link, and as such doesn't use the aerial at all.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have the the remote sensor for putting the top down and what not. So the only thing I'm partially concerned with here, is the am/fm reception.

Yes, wooly...that is what I was saying about wanting the new atenna but not worry about the roof or whatever, because I don't have that bell/whistle on my car. I opted not to get it.

So my only concern is the reception and the likes. I've read varying thingd about both the brabus as well as the sl antenna and it's proving to be rather difficult to make a definitive decision.

ay yi yi...one thing after the other!

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
using this name - 4/25/2005 3:03 PM

Brabus or Sl antenna???

I have read other various threads, but none have made me come to a clear and definitive decision. Was hoping to get some more recent insight.

few thoughts.....

Secondly, if I do NOT get either the brabus or Sl antenna, do you think the current 800 foot tall black standard one can be painted????
I must be one of the few people who actually LIKE the antenna that came with the SLK. I think its sort of cocky tilt and the swirls around the antenna itself go nicely with the curves of the car[:I]

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I'm with you there partially malibu....

I mean....I don't reallt HATE it...but I wanted to try and trick it out a bit so that others here who have or are getting slks, don't look like mine!!!

Also, I probably wouldn't mind keeping it, if it really could be painted. I am going to call my body guy soon and inquire about painting the antenna when he paints the mudflaps.

Although....I was just reading that brabus article about the new nubby antenna...and I was wondering how much they were. That I would have to bring to the dealer to have them install that under the bumper wire. That's a tad annoying.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
malibuite - 4/25/2005 459 PM
I must be one of the few people who actually LIKE the antenna that came with the SLK. I think its sort of cocky tilt and the swirls around the antenna itself go nicely with the curves of the car[:I]
malibuite:
You are not alone...I kinda like my little whip as well...[;)]

·
Registered
SLK350
32 Posts
Finally got my Brabus antenna installed, and everithing works fine, reception (well I don't have tested am reception), GPS, phone and smart key work as well as the old one does.
IMO loocks much better, and fits perfectly in an a black car.

Hope this helps.....[:D]

·
Registered
SLK350 350Z
26 Posts
I have an SL antenna on my car and found that the FM reception is reduced. If you live in big city, there's nothing much to worry about.
I'm totally happy with mine as I normally listen to DVD MP3.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I may go with the brabus antenna and have the rear bumper portion installed at the dealer.

I don't want to risk reception issues because in my other car, the tint alone made my radio not work!

Does anyone know how much the brabus antenna kit costs in USD??? I'm sure it's an arm and a leg and that I won't be getting it too soon due to the cost......[V]

·
Registered
R171 200K
115 Posts
I put the SL antenna on my car today and found the radio reception reduced considerably. Also it looks a little odd as the antenna stub matches the metallic black paintwork of the car while the mount you screw it into just looks like ordinary dulling by the day black plastic. Key seemed fine. Going to return it as I listen to the radio a lot.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
turns out....I just spoke with brabus.

and thanks for posting about putting the sl antenna on ur car.....I don't want my radio reception messed up either.

Turns out brabus doesn't ofer that "nubby" antenna anymore...and they are not sure where it's avilable. That seems strange!!!!

He implied that it may be avilable in germany but doesn't really know....so now I'm not even sure where I can get it unless you guys can tell me.....*shrug*

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
ALmost certainly, the SLs have a signal pre-amplifier, which we don't have (or need) with the longer whip antenna in the SLK. (That's probably why MB haven't changed over to the stubby one, or made this antenna available as an after-sales part.)

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I'm unable to find the brabus antenna anywhere, unless you guys can direct me....

so at this point, I mean, I don't HATE the whip antenna....so I'm going to look into having it painted, as it seems like it would be able to be. Anyone think that if I mess with painting on the antenna that it may botch up the reception since it's going to be covered in paint?

Any insight? Just a thought, if it's going to stay there, I would really prefer it to be the same colour of the car at least.

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
In case anyone has the Inovenda POS, I just recieved notification from PayPal that they will refund my money when I provide proof that the non-functional stub (theirs, not mine) has been mailed back. Let 'em choke on it.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
does anyone currently, know where to buy the brabus antenna, since brabus does not have a clue as to where it may be sold?

Was also wondering about how much those antennas cost.......thanks guys and gals.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
using this name - 5/6/2005 10:56 AM

does anyone currently, know where to buy the brabus antenna, since brabus does not have a clue as to where it may be sold?

Was also wondering about how much those antennas cost.......thanks guys and gals.
If you contact Brabus direct they will point you to your nearest reseller. I emailed [email protected]

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Many thanks joyful....

I did call brabus and he had no idea where they would be offered. I was very turned off to be frank with you. As I'm sure the part is in the numerous 100's!!!!!

he said that they don't have them anymore and that he does not know who around, would have them either. I mean what kind of a way to handle a business is that?!

I mean, I don't really have too much of an issue with my antenna.....

***may I pose this as a new question***

What do you guys think about voiding the warentee and messing with reception if I do/can get the antenna painted like my mudflaps???? Any logical inpit? I would like it even more if it were just the same colour of the car, I don't mind that it's tall per say.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I actually find the design, one wire wrapped around another to be more offensive than the length. I think a smooth straight antenna would look much better. IMHO

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
I'm surprised that no-one has yet been able to get their local MB parts department to verify whether the antenna for the SL models DOES infact connect to a preamplifier, or what the MB part number is for the stubby antenna. The one I looked at on an SL55 certainly looked like a Brabus, so I'm pretty sure it's a Brabus part. I would therefore assume that this antenna can be ordered through an MB parts department - right? (Of course, maybe they won't let you order it if you look like someone who could never afford to own an SL.)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts