Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte, CL600, S500, BMW 330cic, E65 BMW 750LI. Dodge Ram
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have no muffler or resonator and the engine sounds like a monster. I would like to know if I replace the Muffler and run with no resonator will the grrr still be in the tone? Or if I run a resonator and strait pipes what would be the verdict.

The car is quicker as I have been timing it for weeks and the v8 sounds amazing.

I know its crazy but I dont care.

I will post a few clips of sounds and pictures.

I have been talking to the guys in sl forum and they are running straight pipes on 500's and 55's... They have noticed the power exchange and the obvious sounds also... Next I guess is a dyno...

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
Hey Philly, I dig loud and proud. Muffler or resonator or both boil down to personal taste.
I went conservative and left the resonator but went thru flow muffler. It has a rasp but at speed is almost oem. That was my goal.
Unfortunately louder won't make more power, just more db. I dig the sound its just that my advanced age, I like it both ways.
Getting back to your question about sound, it's all personal. Short hops, and commutes allow you go all out while long hauls with significant others demand more discreet sound levels.
I don't know if this helps but I get the feeling you have a good sense of judgement.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
main man Hary!!!

Hey Philly, I dig loud and proud. Muffler or resonator or both boil down to personal taste.
I went conservative and left the resonator but went thru flow muffler. It has a rasp but at speed is almost oem. That was my goal.
Unfortunately louder won't make more power, just more db. I dig the sound its just that my advanced age, I like it both ways.
Getting back to your question about sound, it's all personal. Short hops, and commutes allow you go all out while long hauls with significant others demand more discreet sound levels.
I don't know if this helps but I get the feeling you have a good sense of judgement.
It looks and sounds amazing... I didnt have any muffler or resonator or even tips for that matter it was just a big hole. lol:surrender: I tested that way for about 14 days.. INDEED IT WAS LOUD AND ANNOYING AT TIMES BUT THE AGGRESSIVE GROWL AT LOW TORQUE WAS NICE AND THE ROAR (I DO MEAN ROAR) AT HIGH TORQUE WAS OFF THE SCALE.

I added the straight pipes and dual muffler tip and the car looks better, sounds better and twitches very quickly. Very scary if you ask the wife. :thumbsup:

I will post pics when I get a chance... I love it ( though i did keep the stock stuff for a reversal if needed:D )

take it easy Hary thanks for the input as always!!

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430 & 2001.5 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax EC/LB LB7
356 Posts
Is going straight hard on catalytic converters? I had mine straight-piped for a good 4 months and in that time one of my secondary catalytic converters was shot. It came apart from the inside. Would the lack of back pressure cause any issues like this or even allow the engine to get too hot (burning up valves?)

I miss the straight-piped sound. People were literally shocked at the muscle the V8 would show in audio form.

-Zack

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
Props to you Philly, Doin' it your way. Making a better pump is the goal. Less restriction is the outcome, a very sexy guttural exhaust note is a cool byproduct.

Zack, removing rear resonators and or mufflers decreases back pressure.
In your case reducing back pressure would reduce velocity while increasing the flow. Meaning less heat and strain on the cats. I'd tend to believe you had prior damage or partially clogged cats which showed when the cats tried to perform at a reduced heat level with less force but a higher flow rate.
Metal substrate high flow cats will make your car flow huge, resist common failure and usually outlast your car.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I see, that does make sense. It was the secondary set of cats that were shot so I removed them. I do miss that sound. They sound GREAT without anything but the cats on them!

-Zack

·
Registered
356 Posts
I really am thinking about cutting my muffler back off too! Does it pose ANY danger at ALL to the engine and components (valves, heads, etc...) if I was to do this? I am just a bit paranoid from last time. Is it safe? Cause I miss that roar soooooooo bad!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance, I want to do this Monday!

-Zack

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
I really am thinking about cutting my muffler back off too! Does it pose ANY danger at ALL ?

First off, if you had cracked secondary Cats an overall assessment would be smart. Removing back pressure increases flow rate and reduces excessive heat.
Down side to the whole straight pipe deal is a large loss in low end torque caused by a loss in velocity due to reduced back pressure.
Is it dangerous? No.
Will it hurt anything? Only gas mileage.
Does it help everyday street use?
I love the sound too but sadly, power increase; you'll lose alot of torque for a little high end HP. Will it trip the ECU and a fault code message? Maybe.

A good alternative would be to change out the secondary cats to at least a high flow ceramic, but even better metal substrate high flow cats with thru flow exhaust. It's safe, legal and ECU protected. High flow cats come very close to straight pipe sound.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I really am thinking about cutting my muffler back off too! Does it pose ANY danger at ALL ?

First off, if you had cracked secondary Cats an overall assessment would be smart. Removing back pressure increases flow rate and reduces excessive heat.
Down side to the whole straight pipe deal is a large loss in low end torque caused by a loss in velocity due to reduced back pressure.
Is it dangerous? No.
Will it hurt anything? Only gas mileage.
Does it help everyday street use?
I love the sound too but sadly, power increase; you'll lose alot of torque for a little high end HP. Will it trip the ECU and a fault code message? Maybe.

A good alternative would be to change out the secondary cats to at least a high flow ceramic, but even better metal substrate high flow cats with thru flow exhaust. It's safe, legal and ECU protected. High flow cats come very close to straight pipe sound.
Thank you for the input and advice Hary! I will use this to help me out!

I appreciate it!

-Zack

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THE CATS WILL TIP THE ECU>>>>

The cats will tip the ECU bro... It has alot to do with the O2 sensors. Hary I like your input, my gas mileage has decreased by about 2-3 miles... Low end torque feels similar to pre-removal. High end torgue is absolutely scary, much more at post-removal... Some one else has too try it.... I think the MB OEM cats balance the whole exhaust out... Honestly I'd consider having 6 cats to makeup for the muffler reduction.....

THE OEM MUFFLER IS HUGE!!!!!

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
Philly, that pig of a MB muffler has very poor flow rates. I know this because I sawed mine in half. I wouldn't use that (stock configured)muffler on a 4 cyl. It's full of baffles and overly tight sound deadening packing that cause massive restriction and back pressure.
But being the optimist I am I gutted the whole thing. You can remove all the packing and baffles and I welded in a "Y" so the single pipe mates with the dual exit tubes on the MB muffler.
The sound is freaking great and back pressure is almost zero. The sound level and tone is great. It growls at low speeds and is almost stock at highway speed, I imagine is due to the resonators I left in place. Without the resonators? I guess it would be slightly louder. Low speed Torque loss and high end gain? It's a matter of personal taste and sacrifices to the car gods which way to go.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Car gods!!! I like that!!!!

Philly, that pig of a MB muffler has very poor flow rates. I know this because I sawed mine in half. I wouldn't use that (stock configured)muffler on a 4 cyl. It's full of baffles and overly tight sound deadening packing that cause massive restriction and back pressure.
But being the optimist I am I gutted the whole thing. You can remove all the packing and baffles and I welded in a "Y" so the single pipe mates with the dual exit tubes on the MB muffler.
The sound is freaking great and back pressure is almost zero. The sound level and tone is great. It growls at low speeds and is almost stock at highway speed, I imagine is due to the resonators I left in place. Without the resonators? I guess it would be slightly louder. Low speed Torque loss and high end gain? It's a matter of personal taste and sacrifices to the car gods which way to go.
Yes that is very true...Hary I cant wait to hack open tubes on s55...

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A picture of the rear

I love the look and sound... I think I shall buy another clk and have 2:D. I dont know what benz to buy next other than the wifes ML... Im not really caught up in the new new!!!!! I have to love it to buy it.... Maybe a CL?

I dont know... but I love the way this looks in comparison to the other muffler!!!! thanks alot guys... ENJOY THE RIDES!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts