Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
SLK200 Auto (171)
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am delighted to report that the antenna works.

I got a bit more than i bargained for as the antenna kit arrived. It comes with several components and extension antenna that mount under the bumper - but being lazy i opted to just screw it on initially... and joy, my remote works from at least 50 feet away and my FM radio sings :)

Delighted - may investigate fitting the rest of the kit, but then again, i'll probably just leave it.

Regards all, Mark

·
Registered
SLK 200K
13 Posts
I am glad to hear your new antenna works, my short one from ebay didn't stay for very long as it didn't work at all. Where did you get it and how much did it cost?

·
Registered
SLK200 Auto (171)
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bad news is i got it from germany (via e'bay), but it took three weeks to arrive and the even worse news is ... gulp... it cost £120. In fairness it is a kit and not just and antenna - although it's doubtful i'll end up fitting the kit.

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
355 Posts
mrdeli - 3/8/2005 2:31 PM

The bad news is i got it from germany (via e'bay), but it took three weeks to arrive and the even worse news is ... gulp... it cost £120. In fairness it is a kit and not just and antenna - although it's doubtful i'll end up fitting the kit.
Do you possibly have the Ebay item number for this part?
Or maybe the link to it's listing on Ebay?
I tried to look it up, but could not find it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Below is the listing for Brabus North America.

I just called them, and they were not aware of this part for the new SLK.

They are supposed to (hopefully) call me tomorrow with more information.

Brabus North America
949-797-0177 (located in California)

·
Registered
SLK200 Auto (171)
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try a worldwide search and put this into the search box: 7958319109

That should do it!

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
SLK200 Auto (171)
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS. It is defo an original Brabus part. I was at the Geneva motorshow on Sunday and their SLK had the exact antenna on. - you will see by the ebay shop that the stuff is legit and the packaging etc. leaves no doubt. This is not just an antenna, but a full kit!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thank for you getting back with this information.

I was able to locate this antenna by the number you supplied.

Now waiting to hear back from them to see if they can ship it over the USA.

Do you happen to have a picture of this installed on your SLK? Also, perhaps a picture of the entire install kit you mentioned above?

If you don't have pictures of the install kit, could you quickly describe what all comes in the kit? Are the instructions in German or English?

Sorry for all the questions - but this has been HOT TOPIC #1 on this Board for a long time as many want to swap the stock long mast antenna for an effective shorter one.

Thank you for any further information you can provide.
[:)][:)]

**If the screwing on the antenna mast alone solves the problem of range on the other cheap aftermarket antenna offered on Ebay - I will definately get this part (assuming they can ship it over)

·
Registered
SLK200 Auto (171)
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll post up some pics tomorrow - it's dark here at the moment - suffice to say that the whole thing is to Brabus design and quality - i'm really, really happy with it :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just spoke with the Brabus people for North America, U.S. customers.

Apparently, the current short antenna Brabus is offering is only available to European SLK's.
This part is not being offered to U.S./North American SLK's.
There is a design difference in our SLK's vs. the European models which makes the current part ineffective.
Brabus is evaluating this part for the U.S. and we have to wait and see if they make it available to us.

I have to say - UNBELIEVABLE that we do not have an effective solution to this seemingly simple problem. The last generation SLK (R170) has been around for a while and one would think that an aftermarket company would have developed a part to replace the long stock antenna with an effective shorter version.

Until something different is available I will use the short antenna from Ebay (Inovenda) which is useless but looks 100% better than stock (at least to me)

·
Registered
SLK200 Auto (171)
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it's a pile of spin - there is nothing very hi tec about this - if it works here, it'll work in the US

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
Hmm, this sounds like a worthwhile investment - especially with all the hassle people are having with the Inovenda antenna!!!! [:D]

Anyone know of any UK/European suppliers - since there are no more on eBay at the moment [:(]

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
Heya Mrdeli!! [:D]

Just wondering if you've had any chance to take some photos of the Brabus antenna?? [:)]

How have you found it's performance over the past couple of weeks?? [8D]

·
Registered
2005 CL55
16 Posts
Just added the SL antenna to mine, works fine too, and came painted already. The base's for them are different, so I had to paint the base. But Brabus or SL, anything is better than the VW jetta antenna!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm going to order the SL antenna from MB as well for my black SLK. Is it just the "stub" that I need or the base that it screws onto as well? Is there a part number?

Thanx, Vinny

·
Registered
2005 CL55
16 Posts
I just ordered the stub, and being black, with the black stock base, didn't look bad at all for the short time until I painted the base too. But just the stub, twist it on, and voila!

·
Registered
SLK 350
28 Posts
Interesting....I'm located in N. California. I called my local MB dealer and was quoted the SL antenna cost over $300. Needless to say I was totally surprised for this price. She didn't tell me the exact cost because I need to provide her with the exact VIN number for the SL.

Vincent...which MB dealer did you ask? I may call them and see if they ship or not to N. Cali....

·
Registered
38 Posts
I called Rallye Motors, Roslyn, NY 516 625-1000. As mentioned in the previous posts, I asked for the "stub" only. I dont know if the price you were given was for the entire mount, base and all?

I have to go down to the dealer to place the order since it was not in stock.

Good luck.

Vinny

1 - 20 of 41 Posts