Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a 2001 E55 with 15k miles. I bought it used and from a private owner in the Bay Area. I bought it over the weekend, and I am very impressed with the car's performance/handling/wow-factor, and so on.<br>
<br>
One 'problem' is this: when I'm driving around 50-70 on the expressway or on the highway, it's fairly loud in the car. It's like a low-pitched humming, or very faint, quick, low-pitched thumping. It's very hard to explain, and it's not too loud, but it is very noticeable. It is continuous, whether I'm cruising at 2500rpm, or passing someone. I changed gears from D to 4 and such, but the noise is still there. I really don't think it is engine noise.<br>
<br>
I know I didn't buy an S class so I shouldn't expect a dead-silent ride on the highway. And I also realize that I have a 5.5 liter engine in front of me, pumping out more horsepower and torque than I had in my 2 previous cars combined. But I just want to be sure that I'm on the same boat as all you guys. When you're cruising down the highway at 65 (or more, I assume), how loud is it in your car? I know it's a very open-ended question, but I'm concerned. I didn't expect a 'Lexus ride', but I swear, my car is louder than my son's '93 Mustang GT 5.0 going 65 on the highway, cruising at 2500 rpm. As I gradually slow down to a stop, the loud humming goes away, I can hear the light thump-thump-thump of the engine, and then I come to a stop. I expected the E55 to be a brute, but I didn't expect the interior noise to be so brutal on the highway.<br>
<br>
In addition, what are some characteristics of new tires? New front tires were installed by the previous owner the day before I bought it. Apart from the handling/breaking-in issues, are there any sound-related or ride-related issues?<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
Warren

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Warren, the sound you describe could be anything from the engine to the tires to the transmission. I would first focus on the tires (since they are the least expensive). Look at the inflation. I usually keep mine at the maximum indicated on the driver's door pillar since it improves the handling (I have Dunlop SP-9000s). But I can't even feel my engine much less hear it...which leaves me to believe that what you are hearing might be tire hum. You might want to find another E55 to drive, FWIW, YMMV, etc...<br> <br> Hope this helps and good luck, Bill

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have that problem on my 2001 E55. Like Bill said it could be the engine or tires but it also could a leak in the exhaust under the car. Did you buy this car with a transferrable warranty because if you did just take it to the dealer for a quick diagnostic check. What kind of tires are you running? I switched to PZero Rosso's which are quiet but don't have as good a grip as maybe Bridgestone S03.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
01e55-I have sort of a low grade thumping between 15-25 mph, but there is nothing transmitted through the steering wheel;and this is most noticeable on newly paved asphalt.I assume that the dealer is correct in saying it's the tires, dunlop sp9000. There is tire noise at all speeds, but nothing at the level you describe. We have a 99 mustang cobra and it is definely louder than the e55. Try to drive someone elses. I'm in new orleans if you're down here and you're wellcome to drive mine. write to [email protected]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...

Thank you for your tips. I will take my car down to the local MB dealer (I have the remainder of the 4/50 warranty). I will also check my tires (new Potenza SO-3s) and see what the pressure's at.<br> <br> The sound is to the point where it's very bothersome. Again, I'm not being picky or anything, and I've driven my share of very noisy cars (911SC, Mustang GT, etc). I also have a Acura CL 3.2 Type S and this thing is dead (I mean DEAD) quiet anywhere from 60 to 90 mph. My E55 is not even close. I consider any Benz which is louder than a 1993 Mustang GT on the highway to be a possible problem! But aside from the noise, the car handles beautifully, the performance is spectacular, and the ride is brick-solid.<br> <br> Vic55, thanks for the offer, but I live in CA. It's good to know that there are E55 owners out there willing to help me out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts