Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I struck a deal and added a w124 back into my garage (I used to own a 1995 E300D). This is a 1987 300E 3.2 AMG with paper proof as a real AMG. It's not perfect, the interior needs some things and the exterior will need some things, but it's an excellent driver for now - mechanically, it needs nothing. Runs great; pulls very fast after 2000rpm.

The Details:
* Bored and stroked to 3.2 liters
* Polished and ported head and intake
* AMG cam
* AMG 2nd Air Intake
* AMG Exhaust
* AMG full body kit with welded ducktail
* AMG suspension (white coils)

Unoriginal is the chrome grill and star that used to be painted body color, and the wheels have the ///AMG logo so I know those are from 1993 or so. Original owner said the original painted wheels were beaten pretty good, so these were his replacements. I have spoken to the original owner and the second owner, I have records back to 1999 (mostly MB Dealer in Texas - no rust worthy of mention), service records that prove 66,000 miles, I have an original, painted "3.2" badge for the trunk (uninstalled).

I asked Richard Buxbaum (ex-head of AMG NA) and Hartmut Feyhl (RennTech) to tell me if it's real based on what they know, and they both say "sure looks real to me". Hartmut said probably no more than 20 of these in the US - more in Europe, most likely.

* M103 engine
* 3.2 liter, 12 valves
* 245hp @ 5750 RPM
* 239lbft @ 4500 RPM
* Top speed of 151mph
* Compression raised from 9.2 to 10.1
* Cost around $70,000 in 1987 (so says original owner)

Timing was everything - right place, right time, right amount of cash. I'm glad to have it, and I plan on driving much more often than I currently drive my SL AMG. I knew many were interested in this car, so I thought I'd conclude the saga.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
That is really striking. Except for the back spoiler, ( I don't like that ducktail look) it is a fantastic body kit.

I have only ever seen one of these; about 7 years ago in Portland, a Mercedes Independent shop owner ( Mike Burback ) had a cream colored one, as his personal car, it had about 244,000 miles on it, and looked great.

Scores high for looks, rarity, and all the other W124 virtues - and the AMG ones too, everyone knows about.

This one looks real clean, in your pictures. It is good to see you have it.

You could relocate the AMG badge to the left of the trunk, and the 3.2 badge to the right, where the AMG badge was, and still be period correct, if you want correct badging.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Boy, I sure do love those W124 AMG's. Looks pretty mint to me. ;)
Excellent find and purchase.

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,805 Posts
You should consider doing the AMG black grill surround. Where in the US was the AMG conversion done?

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the car's grill and star ought to get painted body color again; some painted original Hammer wheels from 1987 would be good too. The 3.2 badge was left off by the previous owners because it made the car "stealthy" - to me, the AMG badge should go on the other side and the 3.2 should go where the AMG is.

The car is a US car converted at AMG-Central in Westmont, Ill and sold on March 24, 1987 - that was Richard Buxbaum's AMG of North America headquarters.

·
Registered
85 300 TDT
2,260 Posts
Also very jealous here... Please, though, and I know you said you were a collector of sorts. After you get it in the mechanical condition that meets your personal specs, go drive it hard! And report back here. I want a full Car & Driver report. And don't turn it into a garage queen! I congratulate your research abilities, your tenacity, and most of all your find. You have officially become "the Man" of the W124 thread.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
awesome! nice to see it in good hands :)

·
Registered
94 E420
243 Posts
Aero I wheels seem reasonably common in the used market. Check Mercedes Shop among other places... there was someone there I spoke with about six months ago who had a set.

First order of business is getting the grill paint black :)

Edit - Consider swapping those OEM headlamps for the European versions. You'll have much better light output and they'll look cleaner.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Leave the badging as is. THAT is period correct...adding the 3.2 would not be.

My $0.02 if I owned the car:

Delete hood star, grill body colored, euro lights with either clear corners or euro dark orange ones, proper fitting AMG gen 1 skirts and I would fill all the open space to the left of the exhaust to make it look more OEM fitted.

I'll do some chops to show you what I mean when I have the chance.

CONGRATS on the awesome ride!

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Just need to some euro headlights and you are good to go!

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
Well, I struck a deal and added a w124 back into my garage (I used to own a 1995 E300D). This is a 1987 300E 3.2 AMG with paper proof as a real AMG. It's not perfect, the interior needs some things and the exterior will need some things, but it's an excellent driver for now - mechanically, it needs nothing. Runs great; pulls very fast after 2000rpm.
CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

Great find......once in a lifetime...good luck !!!

Ed A.

·
Registered
E500Es
29,576 Posts
Glad it found a good home.

A thing on the grill, did the original owner tell you that it was originally black or did you assume that from pics? I have pics both ways of cars that came out of Miami and Illinois.

I MIGHT be selling a set of Hammer wheels pretty soon. I have to make a decision on a car first and then go from there. I bought them from Bruce last year then bought another set from him when they came up. I had a car that they were going on but that might change.

I have both the AMG and the ///AMG that are the original Hammers, not the convex Aeros that your car has now. They are 1986 and 1988 stampings from my understanding.

·
Registered
'97 E420, '86 Mustang GT, '88 GT, '89 LX
269 Posts
Congrats! Nice car, now I'm sure in your hands it's going to get the loving it needs. Good score!

·
Registered
1978 C123 280CE, 1988 500SEC, MY10 W204 C200 CGI
1,380 Posts
Here in Australia you can never buy pre merger AMG cars, there just aren't any here, sucks bad. Over there you guys buy old AMGs as if they were corn chips. Lucky man

1 - 20 of 24 Posts