Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1974 450sl, 1986 190e, 97 sl320 40th sold
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first r107 today, its a 1974 450sl and I think i got a pretty good deal. The car is super solid, 100% rust free and thats rare in maine. The car had been sitting in a garage for 13 years. It runs and drives but runs a little rough on that old gas. The paint is in pretty good shape and so is the interior, it looks crummy in the photos but its barn fresh bird poop and all. I paid 2k even for it you think i did alright ?

·
Registered
1977 450SL
50 Posts
Nice car for $2000, especially with no rust.

I purchased my 77 450SL a few months ago here in Phoenix for $1000. Have receipts of $6800 in engine work and new fuel system. The deals are definitely out there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
Nice car!!! If it's clean of rust, you've gotten a great deal.

Make sure you check the EGv107 sticky in the D-Jet section. It's loaded with info specific to the first generation of fuel injection systems.

Make sure you keep an eye on your dwell and points. you might even want to install a Pertrinox if you have troubles with maintaining a good dwell angle.

Take a Saturday and go through the vacuum tubing under the hood. (get a good diagram first, of course) There are some hard plastic tubes that go through a larger tube to vacuum switches behind the passenger headlight. These are known to shatter if looked as firmly, so you might just want to replace them as a matter of course. These things have a lot of vacuum controls and engine management, a lot of problems can be prevented by doing this.

Just a couple suggestions,
Scott

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,340 Posts
Bought my first r107 today, its a 1974 450sl and I think i got a pretty good deal. The car is super solid, 100% rust free and thats rare in maine. The car had been sitting in a garage for 13 years. It runs and drives but runs a little rough on that old gas. The paint is in pretty good shape and so is the interior, it looks crummy in the photos but its barn fresh bird poop and all. I paid 2k even for it you think i did alright ?
Good Luck with that car. It looks like a great buy. Given the chance I would have bought it!

See how it runs with fresh gas. Change the fuel filter too. It is under the rear of the car mounted alongside the fuel pump, below the fuel tank. Easy enough to change out.

If you don't already know, what you have is a D-Jet (D-Jetronic fuel injection) - Lots of stuff in the stickies about it. I have a couple of summaries on how DJet works here somewhere if you are interested.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great info and reassurance that i made a smart buy. I almost walked away but i figured because of the rust free body it was worth it irregardless of any unforeseeable mechanical gremlins i might encounter during the resto process.

The car has a neat documented history too, it apparently was owned by john sculley who was VP of Pepsi Cola and then hired by steve jobs to help run Apple computers.

Anyways im going through every nut and bolt on the car replacing any and everything i feel needs to be. I caught the bug restoring a r129 to its former glory, i can only hope this one comes out just as nice !

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
You guys gotta quit stealing these cars ! Good buys though. Take the savings and yard off thosevpark bench bumpers :D

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
Seems like every time someone buys their first 107, we give them a long list of jobs to do ;)

Maybe what is needed is a new owner's checklist - one for use before buying and another for use after purchase. Maybe a winter project for forum?

I was thinking about going to look at the slc I posted about a few days ago. Easy to check for rust, tires, general condition. But when buying, how about compression, timing chain etc. Owners probably would not be keen on prospective buyer taking their cars apart to check these things.

So what do you guys do? Just go on instinct? That is what I have done in past, but maybe I have just got lucky.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems like every time someone buys their first 107, we give them a long list of jobs to do ;)

Maybe what is needed is a new owner's checklist - one for use before buying and another for use after purchase. Maybe a winter project for forum?

I was thinking about going to look at the slc I posted about a few days ago. Easy to check for rust, tires, general condition. But when buying, how about compression, timing chain etc. Owners probably would not be keen on prospective buyer taking their cars apart to check these things.

So what do you guys do? Just go on instinct? That is what I have done in past, but maybe I have just got lucky.
No worries there, i appreciate it. Saves me a lot of time troubleshooting and looking for problems i can go right straight to it.

Anyways i got the car home today and gave it a bath. Gonna bring it in the garage and start tearing into it in the next day or two. First things i need to tackle are getting the engine running better (its been sitting) and an oil leak of some sorts. The underbelly in the engine vicinity is soaked. Are these prone to any particular gasket failures ?

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
No worries there, i appreciate it. Saves me a lot of time troubleshooting and looking for problems i can go right straight to it.

Anyways i got the car home today and gave it a bath. Gonna bring it in the garage and start tearing into it in the next day or two. First things i need to tackle are getting the engine running better (its been sitting) and an oil leak of some sorts. The underbelly in the engine vicinity is soaked. Are these prone to any particular gasket failures ?
Oil leaks not too common. Maybe connection to oil cooler? Otherwise, maybe valve cover gasket leaking or it could be Power steering. If behind engine, I guess it could be rear seal? Just have to clean everything off and see where it is coming from. Have fun.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,362 Posts
He may not have an oil cooler. That was the change period. It was eliminated sometime either at the beginning of the '74 model year or during it. You know how MB operated.

Valve cover gaskets are fairly common. Oil pan less. Rear seal? Maybe due to sitting.

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
He may not have an oil cooler. That was the change period. It was eliminated sometime either at the beginning of the '74 model year or during it. You know how MB operated.

Valve cover gaskets are fairly common. Oil pan less. Rear seal? Maybe due to sitting.
Right about the oil cooler. epc says up to engine #15081 (if I read it right). On later cars, perhaps there is still a cooler bypass hose to get oil from pump to filter?

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,569 Posts
I changed the oil in my 73, didn't replace any washer, and I too now have a leak. It was a good learning experience as now that the car has 500 miles on it since the change, it is now ready for the second change. My engine was pretty filthy so I am kind of doing a flush without the flush additive, just 500 miles with some cheap oil. I will make sure I change the washer next time, and tighten down the plug more this time. I intentionally didn't crank it down much.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
as for the leak im not gonna mess around just ordered a bunch of gaskets, valve covers, transmission, power steering pump, rear diff. Im gonna power wash the heck out of everything before hand and see what i end up with after i replace all the gaskets.

Found something odd today, up in the front right hand corner under the hood theres something with a leather boot over it stating something about the carb. Anyways the cabling, wiring and vacuum line that goes to it are all disconnected ??

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,362 Posts
Just to make sure we are on the same page. Right is the passenger side on a LHD vehicle.

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,362 Posts
I can't think of anything like you describe. Sorry.
Picture?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts