Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6 1993 500sel (sold) 1995 S500 coupe (sold) 1994 S500 blk/blk
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For a long time I have been wanting to ,move up to an S class from the '89 190e 2.6 that I have.

Today I bought a 1993 500 SEL, black/ gray lower body cladding/black interior. 133,000 miles, new battery, new tires, cosmetically superior, no rust. Bought it from a guy who grew tired of it and bought himself a much newer S500. Paid 3k for it.

HOWEVER, I need advice about what it takes to replace the rear shock accumulators., The seller gave me two brand new ones. Is this a DIY job?

NOW FOR THE BIG PROBLEM: The ASR light comes in a few minutes or after couple of blocks of driving. I was well aware of this when I bought the car, thinking it may be a wiring harness problem that I might be able to repair myself. (problem resolved a week later. See further remarks in this thread).

So there it is: the King of the Road--a real beauty! But I need help and advice about how to proceed with troubleshooting and repairs.

Can you advise me? I'd appreciate any and all remarks even if negative.

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes Benz S320 Long Wheelbase.
544 Posts
Welcome to the exclusive club of W140 ownership! Isn't it fantastic? Maybe I'll see you around Eagan sometime, I'll keep my eyes peeled!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the exclusive club of W140 ownership! Isn't it fantastic? Maybe I'll see you around Eagan sometime, I'll keep my eyes peeled!
Thanks, I just hope my 140 isn't on the back of a tow trailer when you see it.
I drove it home from Robbinsdale--got f***king lost. Drove in the limp home mode I guess--even with 2/3 of the power it was a great drive. When the ASR is working for a little while, I can't believe how it takes off.

As a side note I was surprised that the a/c system was 134a system--not retroffited.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
For accumulators, V12 Uber Alles, Replacing Accumulators (aka Spring Actuators, Nitrogen Spheres) in a W140 Mercedes Benz , and there is a write up in the knowledge base thread.

For the ASR, it's one of those, "Could be anything," things. The ASR system uses information from the wheel speed sensors to determine if one of the rear tires is spinning faster than the other. Free things to check and do: Tire pressures (make sure they are equal side to side), tire size (make sure they are the same side to side), wheel speed sensors (remove, clean up, and replace), check all wiring to the wheel speed sensors that you can see while you're doing this and make sure nothing is out of the ordinary. Moving up in cost: Simply just replacing the wheel speed sensors preemptively might be the cheapest thing to try. Beyond that, you're probably getting into the electrical gremlin area, and that's a can of worms. Could be very difficult to trace and might be a computer module problem. Since you have a warning light, you should have fault codes stored in the ASR system. It might be worth your time and money to just go to a dealer or independent mechanic who has the proper factory diagnostic system and have the fault codes read and see what direction that points you in.

Good luck with it, and please, please post back to the forum with the solution to the problem.

Brett

·
Registered
1998 S500
446 Posts
Congrats on making the move up - they truly are unique and superior vehicles. This is a great article on changing the accumulators (V12 Uber Alles, Replacing Accumulators (aka Spring Actuators, Nitrogen Spheres) in a W140 Mercedes Benz). I have two new ones sitting in my garage and that will be my next project. Don't forget to get some hydraulic fluid before you start. I buy mine from Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips. The part # is 0009899103, Hydraulic/Suspension Fluid; 1 Liter. I have a couple of liters on the way but the quantity is just a guess.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many, many thanks for the encouragement and technical advice from all!

It's a project car, so I will take my time.

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes Benz S320 Long Wheelbase.
544 Posts
Oh hey, if you ever need to take it to a dealer, go to Feldmann Imports over off of France Avenue in Bloomington and speak to Chad or Jeff in service. I've been there many times since I bought it, and they know me by name and always treat me excellently. Or if you'd rather use a indie import shop, Metric Auto Works in Woodbury has a recommendation from me. Sure, it's much smaller, but the service is excellent there also, and their labor rate is $30 an hour less than Feldmann's.

Well, best of luck to you with the new 500SEL and maybe I'll see ya around sometime. :)

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 CGI Avant Garde Sport
1,931 Posts
Try pumping the accelerator three or four times before starting. On mine that worked for a while. The dealer said that I needed a new electronic throttle actuator ($1250 plus installation!). I had the major service done ($675) and the problem went away!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try pumping the accelerator three or four times before starting. On mine that worked for a while. The dealer said that I needed a new electronic throttle actuator ($1250 plus installation!). I had the major service done ($675) and the problem went away!
Thanks Nimrod--I'll give it a try. Any and all advice is appreciated. Some of the guys said it could be anything even down to the brake switch.

·
Registered
1987 560SL - 1994 S420 - 2005 S55 AMG
341 Posts
Thanks Nimrod--I'll give it a try. Any and all advice is appreciated. Some of the guys said it could be anything even down to the brake switch.
I was getting the ASR/ABS light after I started the car and drove out the driveway. Turned out I needed a new battery. After replacing the battery the light has not come on. Good Luck

·
Registered
1997 S600 Coupe (have owned 1968 280SL, 1978 450SEL, 1980 300TD, 1987 300SDL, 1993 500SEL,1994 E320)
21 Posts
ASR woes

I went through this exact issue with my 93 500SEL a couple of years ago. The ASR light had started to come on about two years before I ended up replacing the ETA, which I did myself using information from this and another good MB forum (mercedesshop.com) to guide me. It is a royal PIA to remove and get back into place, but was worth the savings.

I tried some of the remedies you have been given in earlier replies, but the ETA in these automobiles has a chronic manufacturing flaw. The insulation on the wiring in the unit and its attached cable becomes brittle over time and begins to crack. The potentiometer in the ETA can also be a problem. There are several write-ups with pictures to show you what this condition looks like. Here is one place to see a repair scheme. K6JRF Auto Page. From his menu of information go to item 24 and take a look.

My ASR light problem started around the same mileage on my car as your car now has. I changed the brake light switch but it did not help and I don't have a scanner so I never pulled the codes. However, if you read some of the posts on this problem, you will find that the codes can be misleading and they do not always point to the real problem. I am not saying you shouldn't get the codes dumped and take a look. In fact, it is probably a good idea to do that anyway since you just bought the car and there may be other problems that are not apparent and the codes would bring those to light.

For two years I lived with the the ASR light coming on shortly after starting the car and had to either continue driving it in the limp home mode, or stop the car to restart it to regain normal engine operation with the ASR light out. Finally, it got so bad I simply took a chance, after discussing the problem with a reputable local indie, and bought a rebuilt ETA from Potomac German Auto and put it in. The part had a one year warranty with it and was about half the cost of a new unit from MB. There are other companies out there that rebuild these units as well. At any rate the ASR problem went away. To give you a reference point, my car had about 156,000 miles on it when I did this repair. That may or may not be significant to your situation, and I probably should have corrected this problem well before I did, but I didn't.

It is hard to say what is causing your ASR light to come on as you can tell from the earlier replies. Due to my experience with this problem, the manufacturing/design flaw in the unit, and the vast number of people who have had this problem, I am convinced you will ultimately have to replace the ETA. Maybe not now, but someday. Perhaps your issue is one of the minor ones, and a simple switch replacement or cleaning of sensor cables/connections will fix it for now. I hope that is the case. Just plan on the future and add a new ETA to your list of repairs at some point.

Remember to restart the car if possible after the light comes on and you should regain normal ETA/engine operation.
Hope I didn't scare you. Enjoy the car, it is a super road machine! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
well in theory you could remove the fuse from base module for the ASR module but i think that module it controls whole bunch of other stuff, so probably not possible....

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 CGI Avant Garde Sport
1,931 Posts
The ASR is part of the "drive by wire system" that MB put in the more expensive cars. It affects not only the electronic throttle actuator but also the transmission (try getting the car to go out of second gear with the ASR light on!). The limp home mode is just that-enough to get you home or to the dealer (if you live near enough one!). In theory you could disconnect it but the car would drive so miserably it would you have it to the dealer in pretty short order.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
For accumulators, V12 Uber Alles, Replacing Accumulators (aka Spring Actuators, Nitrogen Spheres) in a W140 Mercedes Benz , and there is a write up in the knowledge base thread.

For the ASR, it's one of those, "Could be anything," things. The ASR system uses information from the wheel speed sensors to determine if one of the rear tires is spinning faster than the other. Free things to check and do: Tire pressures (make sure they are equal side to side), tire size (make sure they are the same side to side), wheel speed sensors (remove, clean up, and replace), check all wiring to the wheel speed sensors that you can see while you're doing this and make sure nothing is out of the ordinary. Moving up in cost: Simply just replacing the wheel speed sensors preemptively might be the cheapest thing to try. Beyond that, you're probably getting into the electrical gremlin area, and that's a can of worms. Could be very difficult to trace and might be a computer module problem. Since you have a warning light, you should have fault codes stored in the ASR system. It might be worth your time and money to just go to a dealer or independent mechanic who has the proper factory diagnostic system and have the fault codes read and see what direction that points you in.

Good luck with it, and please, please post back to the forum with the solution to the problem.

Brett
I am getting used to this car. What a machine! Anyway about the ASR problem: Last night I took off the vanity cover and looked at the MAF and throttle actuator. Moved wires around and generally poked around.

Then I discovered a couple of vacuum lines just under the first cover were cracked and leaking so I replaced them. (update: the problem was that unmetered air was entering the MAF which caused chaos in the computing).

I checked the wiring harness which appears to have been replaced--no problems of deterioration that I could see, but I squeezed on some lines of wires, sort of loosening them from each other.

Whatever, I drove the car twice today and the ASR light did not come on. Before, the light would come on within a block of my garage.

I don't know if this is a permanent, and I don't know what I did. But it sure is fun to drive this King with full power. Wow!

·
Registered
Looking for V8 W140
96 Posts
Probably it was sold because of ASR problem... Now you have a very nice ride without problems for 3k and besides it free rear accumulators! Life's good! Is not it? :)

·
Registered
1998 S500
446 Posts
Congratulations on your ASR fix. :thumbsup: Always satisfying to fix those type of problems in a concrete way.

Seems like this should be posted in the knowledge base in the first things to check for ASR problems.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,980 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, what's your favorite road in the Eagan area to cruise down?
I don't do much cruising yet, but when I do, I take 35E between Eagan and Burnsville. This morning to test if my ASR problem was solved I cruised down 35E then turned on CR 42 and drove to Ridges Hospital and stopped in their parking lot to check the transmission fluid level. All was well. The cruise control worked, no ASR problem. Cruised at 100mph for a brief time!

Where do you cruise?
Thanks for your interest!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts