Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
l'm aware that the Bose system adjusts for the added noise level in the vehicle (ie- if the windows are opened), but l thought it was suppose to be subtle, l find it very distracting....Could there be something wrong with it...The manual mentions, that the changes will be unnoticeable....Boy !!!!!! ...are they wrong...Has anyone else experienced this ???????

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
marcelc - 4/19/2005 12:06 PM

Yes, I find the noise compensation is about twice what is required.

I believe it is programmable by the dealer.
Thanks...is anyone else able to confirm this???

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,474 Posts
maybe this will help!!!

My MY02 adapted pretty well and here's what I have found out with my MY05: My 02 didn't have the NAV but my 05 has. With the NAV system voice activated, the radio volume does not adapt as expected - it will take a deep dive when the NAV talking lady tries to get on. the NAV volume control is independent of the radio volume control, go figure!!! The problem is that if the NAV volume is very low - it's never OFF, but infinitessimally low - you will not notice the lady trying to talk, but you will definitely notice the change in your radio volume. This may or may not be your problem C-Rod, but try increasing your NAV volume to an audible range (press the NAV VOICE button - if your NAV volume is very low, you may not hear a thing!!! In anycase, as soon as you press the NAV VOICE button, quickly turn the volume button way up. This is the only way to set the NAV VOICE volume). Once the NAV volume is adjusted, you should be able to determine if the problem is due to NAV or not.

Now, after that, I hope your problem is NAV related. With my MY02, the adaptation was very smooth, though I could always notice it. With my 05, the adaption is smooth with NAV voice OFF, but there is a clear step change, with NAV voice ON - the radio volume takes a deep dive even if NAV voice volume is not even heard!!!!!

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
C Rod, I had it too. took it to the dealer and told them how much the volume changed.. they said it was normal and tried to charge me to turn that setting off. i complained, and got it done for free.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Get your dealer to turn off the speed sensitive volume compensation, or to change it to the minimum value. The Bose Audiopilot function cannot be deactivated (nor would you want to), but the volume compensation can be. This is actually true for all MLs, Bose or not.

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks...........you guys are unreal!!!!!!!!l would be lost without you gentlemen!!!!!!!!!!!![:D]

·
Registered
93 Posts
I know I am replying to an old thread......but I have an 02 ML.....and I have the same prob. Can this be adjusted through the "on-screen" setup, and can I do it myself.

Thanks

·
Registered
1999 Kleemann ML43K
1,390 Posts
Bose stands for

Better Off with Something Else. Do any of you have BOSE for your home entertainment theatre surround sound system?

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
RE: Bose stands for

LOCHS 2 - 7/26/2005 7:09 PM

Better Off with Something Else. Do any of you have BOSE for your home entertainment theatre surround sound system?
I have to agree ... BOSE does not make anything nice in home theather systems at all. [xx(]

Car audio systems are better than BASE systems, but far from anything aftermarket unf. [:(]

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 2005 and I really like the sound from the Bose system. However it is a system that both my wife and I are growing to hate more and more each time we get into the car. In ours, the volume has to be adjusted upwards every time you start the car after it has set for a few minutes or more. We were on a trip this past weekend traveling in an area where I wanted to use the nav and the nave voice could not give directions. As I increaced the nav volume all I got was loud spikes of regular radio volume when the nav voice should have spoke. We have had the car for ten months and the problems started about the second week of ownership. I have a great dealer, but the system frustrates us both. I appreciate the volume chages that make sense, but it is the random and unexpected that are making us hate the whole experience.

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As Drew has mentioned..l had the volume compensation thingy turned off, my dealer charged me $25.00 for it..so l didn't argue..My SA has given me lots of breaks (good-will)...on many items....lf you are not happy with the volume fluctuations, this will take care of it....[:D]

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
There's a service bulletin out for this problem, maybe someone can post a copy?

2002 ML320/ML500

T-82_60-192B SEP 04 Audio System - Unexpected Volume Fluctuation

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the service action done. It calls for the replacement of the original microphone with what appears to be a less sensiive microphone. The sound control does not turn off. Others have suggested disconnecting the microphone to turn off the Audiopilot control to solve the problem. Tried that and the blank connector appeared to act as an antenna picking up signals from the altenator causing even greater volume changes on acceleration from a stop and the volume changes from shutdown to startup did not get better.

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
273 Posts
The mic is for navi and phone functions only...has nothing to do with the volume adjustment otherwise if you were talking in your car, the volume would increase all the time. The automatic volume adjustment is based off the engine RPM's...this is a common feature in many aftermarket radios as well.

·
Registered
497 Posts
According to Wolfgang's diagram the microphone is used to sense noise, I assume it doesn't trigger on voice as this is an intermittent noise - I should check it next time my wife uses her cellphone in the car , maybe it does respond to voice!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts