Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320, 2000 Audi TT Quattro, 1996 Acura NSX-T
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically after looking into this all I think I will be going with a full stereo replacment like I did with my Audi TT. Want to use the OEM locations for all the speakers, would prefer to do very minimal fabrication/cutting of the car unless what I want is just not possible.

First wondering where the speakers are for a 2000 ML320 Bose system, I know of the 2 in the front doors, do they have tweeters somewhere, or are they standard 2-way/3-way speakers in there? Never looked (sitting at my desk at work) but are there speakers in the back doors or trunk area?

I see people talking about a subwoofer with the Bose setup, never noticed all that great of bass, where would the sub be located if there is one?

Wondering about the size of the speakers in those various locations for a 2000 ML320 Bose

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
108 Posts
I'm also doing some research as well. So far I have discovered that we have a 7 speakers in the ML. Speakers are as follows:
The sub-woofer is under one of the front seats. I want to say passenger but I don't recall this second. The front doors are fitted with a pair of 6 1/2 inch speakers each with a center cone tweeter. Some how this counts as 2 speaker in each front door. Lastly, each rear door has a 5.25 inch speaker, however no tweeter like in the front. Well that brings everything up to 7 speakers.

Special note: these speakers, like the MCS radio system and amp output, functions on a 2ohm impedence configuration. Most speakers available operate on the 4 ohm configuration.

This is what the factory stuff looks like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-M-class-bose-speakers-front-and-rear_W0QQitemZ8047892070QQcategoryZ38646QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is where I'm going out on a limb with my knowledge. So, I may need correcting from the gang out there.

From what I've read you can use the more available 4 ohm speakers but you will have to dirve the volume higher to generate the desired output. This is where the limb begins to weaken. On one hand, I've read, that driving up the volume on the box creates the possibility of added static, distortion or interference. Others, folks in this forum, have enjoyed great results with some other 2 way speakers like the 4 ohm MB Quart, et al. Cushfields . com (I might have the wrong spelling) has a host of speakers for our ML's.

And now for more of my 2 cents:
Therefore...the path of least resistance, IMO, is to replace the stock with a 2 ohm configured 2-way speakers system like the Infinity Kappa. They go for $110 -150 a pair. Also, the Kappas will give you tweeter output in the front and back. Now you have a 9 speaker system, lol.

Next level up is to add sail panel tweeters to the above mentioned and get an even better high range directional sound at ear level. Go to: For My Mercedes .com You can add these but you will have to disconnect the front lower tweeters.
Why???? I, don't know!!!!! But that's what the install guide reads. These look great but they'll run'ya a few nickels:
http://www..com/mb_results.asp?model=W163&class=m-class&category=Bose+Tweeters%2FSail+Panels This mod, including the lower speakers, will run about $500 ish.

Last level up (heh heh heh)...Balls to the wall. All out mod from the amp out (possibly even a new box). I hear that you can bi-pass the stock apm and have the replacement amp situated under one of the back seats. Now we're looking at a starting price of $1000 and I'll bet you can hit $2k or $2.5 k very easily.
Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

I need to do a little more research but I think I going with the Bose sail speakers and Infinity bottom speakers. I gotta save a few $'s for the wood steering wheel...lol

RAN

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
108 Posts
This is the web site with the Bose sail panel:

http://www..com/mb_results.asp?model=W163&class=m-class&category=Bose+Tweeters%2FSail+Panels

It did'n seem to work earlier
RAN

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
On MY 2000 we have only 5 speakers total, the sub woofer under the driver seat and 2 on the front door and two on the back door nothing else, I think starting on MY 2001 or 02 they start adding a tweeter at the sail panel and the upper D pillar. Check how I did mine
OEM Sail panel

Then I bought these:

And installed: for my taste I don’t need to replace the rest of the speaker.

left side

and here is the bottom speaker look like

and add that logo too,:)[:)][:D]

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you happen to have a part number and maybe cost for those door sails? That is OEM correct?

JimB - 3/16/2006 9:57 PM

On MY 2000 we have only 5 speakers total, the sub woofer under the driver seat and 2 on the front door and two on the back door nothing else, I think starting on MY 2001 or 02 they start adding a tweeter at the sail panel and the upper D pillar. Check how I did mine
OEM Sail panel

Then I bought these:

And installed: for my taste I don’t need to replace the rest of the speaker.

left side

and here is the bottom speaker look like

and add that logo too,:)[:)][:D]

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
yes, they are OEM and the part # is what you see on the pictures one is for left and the other is for right speaker, Sorry I can't remember how much I paid for them.

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
108 Posts
Jim,
Did you need to de-activate the lower tweeters or are you able to run the sail's and lower's at the same time?

Yes, I'm very sure that the sail speakers first became availabe in MY '02. Now, if I understood, can I replace the blank sail panels in my '01 320 with '02 OEM Bose Sail Speaker panels? They fit?

If so, could you provide those part numnbers?

Thanks,
RAN

·
Registered
10' CX-9 GT-AWD, 03' e39, 98' ML (gone but not forgotten)
433 Posts
RAN - 3/16/2006 8:29 PM

This is what the factory stuff looks like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-M-class-bose-speakers-front-and-rear_W0QQitemZ8047892070QQcategoryZ38646QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

RAN
hey, those are my stuff. Anyhow, if you install a 4 ohm speaker, you will have to crank up the volume to experience the same sound level as the 2 ohm, as such, the power amp will generate more heat, and would likely shorten its life. I just got lazy and replaced all door speakers with infinity kappas. reasonable good results without dumping a ton of money.
The front doors have a tweeter and woofer coax speaker. Mercedes counts it as 2 even though physically there is only one speaker. Depends on how you look at it, you can call it 5 speaker system or 7 speaker system. On the other hand, I am not sure if one can call a bass module under the driver's seat a speaker.

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
hi ran, i did not deactivate the tweeter from the front speaker when I did mine and so far after so many year I still enjoying the sound[:)] they are simply splice them together as you can see on my picture the white wire was fish through from the top then spliced the wire to the oem wire, the green wire is the + and the blue wire is the - abiously[:)] the part # you see on the plastic package is the right part# i just don't know which one is for left or right.

yes they are perfectly fit, to answer your last question[:)]

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
just spliced them the tweeter came with a tiny cross-over.

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
You don't need to disable the door speaker tweeters since they are designed to work with a full signal.

The tweeters up high, since they come with a crossover to take out the mids and bass will work without problems also. Plus they require very little power to drive so that's not a problem.

As for the bose subwoofer (in my opinion)it's really more like a really strong woofer that doesn't get very far into the sub-woofer frequencies. You might do well to replace or supplement that with something that goes deeper. If you do, that you'll likely be putting in an amp AND if your doing that you might as well put in a second amp or larger multi-channel amp and drive your new door speakers without interference from the BOSE equalizer (built into their bose amp).

In the end your decision regarding what and how much you do will be shaped by your budget and how picky you are about your stereo system. Lots of people won't even notice that the BOSE amp limits the quality of sound that comes out of new door speakers. (By the way, this is neither a good or bad thing). If it sounds good to you then that's all that counts.

Good luck with your install.

·
Registered
ML320
229 Posts
Anyone know a good powered sub that could go under the front seat in a non Bose install rather than taking up all of the rear compartment so I have to but a roof rack? Not pointing at anyone particular here.

I have been thinking about using one from a PC setup 5.1 setup.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check out those bazooka tubes, they are smaller, but I don't think you will find anything that fits UNDER the seat. The tubes are nice though. I had a Basslink in my Audi TT in the trunk and it was real nice.

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
I had my sub built into the space where the CD player is mounted in the trunk. Totally stealth, sounds great, full use of my trunk, nothing to remove. I've posted pictures previously.

It's easier and more convenient to put the CD player up front where you can reach it like under the drivers seat (if you still use CD's that is).

I think Infinity also makes several self-powered subs that're very small. Looks like it might fit under there also but never measured.

·
Registered
ML320
229 Posts
Thanks for the info - I don't need a lot of "doof" but I fixed the clarity problem I had with new aftermarket speakers but then the bass dropped out. Sort of like going from Infinitys to JBLs.

Yeah I suppose I could put the 6-disc up front.

·
Registered
1 Posts
in 2002 the Bose package came with 10 speakers. 2 in each front door a sub under the driver seat. A fill speaker under the passenger seat. One in each back door and one on each side of the back cargo door

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,412 Posts
in 2002 the Bose package came with 10 speakers. 2 in each front door a sub under the driver seat. A fill speaker under the passenger seat. One in each back door and one on each side of the back cargo door
Welcome Neil559, :)

Update your user cp info.
click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
add your make model YEAR ----> click save

You're a tad late in your first post.
14 years late..... ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts